Relay For Life comes to SU campus this weekend

Kai Nguyen | Photo Editor

This year's Relay For Life theme is Carnival For A Cure, and the event will take place in the Carrier Dome on Saturday.

This Saturday, the Carrier Dome will be devoted to the Relay For Life, a signature annual fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.

The first Relay For Life was held in 1985 and commonly takes place on college campuses across the nation, Syracuse University being one of them. The American Cancer Society was established in 1913 with one goal in mind: eliminating cancer. The organization works to fund promising researchers in this field and aids those in need of lodging and transportation so they can obtain the best treatment possible.

Danielle LaTour, American Cancer Society’s community development manager in the Northeast, said the event began with a volunteer, Gordon Klatt, who pledged to run for 24 hours around a track to raise money.

“Since then, it has become a national effort to end cancer,” LaTour said.

Each Relay event is different, but they share the same general structure. The Relay begins first with an opening ceremony to welcome participants. After this, the Survivor Lap takes place, during which survivors and those currently affected by cancer walk the track and are cheered and supported by those in attendance, LaTour said.

Next there’s a Caregiver Lap, recognizing those who have provided support to their loved ones with cancer. LaTour said then various teams join the track, with one member walking at all times until the relay ends — this symbolizes the ongoing fight against cancer.

“(It) leaves you with the message that cancer never sleeps, and neither will we,” said Mackenzie Ryan, Relay For Life participant and captain of the Alpha Phi Omega team at SU.

relay-for-life-1

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

When not walking, participants take part in games, activities and entertainment, LaTour said. There will also be raffles, food and musical acts. The raffle items include free Dunkin’ Donuts, free SU gear and a $50 Wegmans gift card, and LaTour said there will be fundraising prizes for participants. These activities all echo the event’s theme of Carnival For A Cure.

She added that this year’s fundraising goal is $100,000, and the funds will be used to continue searching for a cure for cancer. At the moment, the American Cancer Society has reached just over one-third of its goal at about $36,000, LaTour said.

According to the Relay For Life website, “darkness is symbolic of the fear that a patient feels when diagnosed,” so as the sun sets, luminaries are lit to reaffirm hope in those affected. The luminaries are also lit to remember those who have died, to celebrate cancer survivors and to honor those still affected, per the website.

“Anyone can tribute a luminary and illuminate it. They can also be decorated as well,” LaTour said. “There is usually a speech or a song. When we light the luminaries, you can really see that everyone is affected by cancer in some way, and this is our best way to fight back.”

At the closing ceremony, the work of community members and volunteers is recognized. The American Cancer Society urges those in attendance to continue participating in Relay For Life until the battle against cancer has been won.

“Relay For Life is all about creating a world with less cancer and more birthdays,” Ryan said.

The event takes place on Saturday from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. in the Carrier Dome.