Syracuse football announces series with Rutgers, and other changes, to nonconference schedule

Syracuse and Wisconsin cancelled a home and home series this fall, leaving room for the series with Rutgers.

Syracuse football announced several changes to its 2019-2021 nonconference schedule on Thursday evening, according to a press release.

The only addition to the schedule is a home-and-home series against Rutgers in 2020 and 2021. Originally the Orange had agreed to play Wisconsin, but the series was canceled back in December. SU will travel to Rutgers on Sept. 12, 2020 before hosting RU in the Carrier Dome on Sept. 11, 2021.

“We are very pleased to renew this series,” SU Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in the press release. “Rutgers is one of our traditional Northeast opponents, and we had some great games when both schools were in the BIG EAST.”

Also included in the changes is the rescheduling of Holy Cross, which will now be played on Sept. 28, 2019, as opposed to the original date of Aug. 31, 2019.

The Orange also announced the dates for its season openers against Liberty and Albany. Syracuse will travel to Lynchburg, Virginia, to face the Flames on Aug. 31, 2019 and the Great Danes Sept. 4, 2021.

The 2019 non-conference schedule is complete for SU, but the Orange still has two spots to fill in 2020 and one in 2021. The updated schedule and dates are below:

2019

Aug. 31 at Liberty

Sept. 7 at Maryland

Sept. 21 vs. Western Michigan

Sept. 28 vs. Holy Cross

ACC home games: Boston College, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest

ACC away games: Duke, Florida State, Louisville, NC State

2020

Sept. 12 at Rutgers

Oct. 17 vs. Liberty

ACC home games: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State

ACC away games: Boston College, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest

2021

Sept. 4 vs. Albany

Sept. 11 vs. Rutgers

Sept. 25 vs. Liberty

ACC away games: Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Virginia Tech