Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from No. 11 Syracuse’s 21-4 win over Binghamton

Gillian Farrugia | Contributing Photographer

Matt Lane (No. 44) scored a goal and added an assist in the Orange's thrashing of Binghamton.

No. 11 Syracuse (1-0) scored faster than two minutes into its season opener on Saturday against Binghamton (0-1) and never looked back en route to a 21-4 win. The Orange scored 13-straight goals and held Binghamton scoreless for nearly 27 minutes.

Here are three takeaways from Syracuse’s blowout win.

Syracuse offense thrives in season opener

The biggest question entering the season was whether Syracuse’s offense could still produce despite the losses of All-Americans Sergio Salcido and Nick Mariano, as well as its quarterback, Jordan Evans. Nearly 60 percent of total points from the starting offense came from those three. But against Binghamton, Syracuse struck not even two minutes in and never looked back.

Jamie Trimboli started things off for the Orange, cutting into open space and finishing with ease. That started a run of 13-straight SU goals. By the end of the game, 12 different Syracuse players had scored.

Brendan Bomberry led the Orange with five goals of his own, and fellow attackers Stephen Rehfuss and Nate Solomon added three and two, respectively. The Syracuse offense made a statement on Saturday.

No Ben Williams, no problem

Danny Varello spent last year learning under two-time Tewaaraton Nominee Ben Williams, trying to shape himself into a dominant faceoff specialist. And on Saturday, he dominated at the faceoff X.

Varello won five-straight faceoffs to start and by half, he and Seth DeLisle had won 15-of-17 faceoffs. Before being subbed out, Varello was 15-of-17 and DeLisle 4-of-6. A season ago, when Binghamton and the Orange played in the Carrier Dome, faceoff specialist Austin Macchi had won 12-of-20 against Williams. On Saturday, he finished 3-of-15. The other Binghamton players finished 2-of-14.

After SU scored to take a 17-4 lead, head coach John Desko put in Nick Martin to take faceoffs. He finished 3-of-3 before being replaced with Nate Garlow.

Every faceoff specialist Desko opted with found instant success. There seemed to be little-to-no struggles in SU’s first game replacing Williams.

Defense impresses

For most of the game, Syracuse’s defense wasn’t needed. Because of the Orange’s success at the faceoff X, Binghamton rarely had offensive opportunities. But when the Bearcats did, BU was often shut down by the Orange.

For 27 minutes, the defense held Binghamton scoreless. And by halftime, it had allowed just two goals — both of which started from Syracuse turnovers — on just eight shots. Binghamton got more offensive opportunities as time went on, and found more success, but it was too little, too late.

Oftentimes, the defense picked off Binghamton’s passes. The Bearcats tried passing the ball around to find an open look, which rarely came. When it did, Dom Madonna and eventually, backup goalie Drake Porter, were there to make the stop.

Madonna allowed just four goals through three quarters before being subbed out. Porter and Willie Klan III finished the game without allowing a goal in the fourth.