Music

Chappell Roan won over the crowd at The Lost Horizon

Dan Lyon | Contributing Photographer

Chappell Roan played original songs and covered a track by The Cranberries during her concert at the Lost Horizon.

Chappell Roan stopped playing her first song during last night’s concert, starting it over so that she could “do it right.” She kicked off the show at The Lost Horizon with her original song “Die Young.”

Roan paused after playing “Die Young” to introduce herself and tell listeners that she was excited to be in Syracuse, saying she’d never visited the city before. The 20-year-old singer performed original music and a cover during her central New York concert Sunday evening.

When Roan performed “Meantime,” she sang some high notes that had the crowd, made up of mostly young adults, cheering. The singer giggled in response to her fans’ reaction, thanking them for being so enthusiastic.

Before announcing her next song, Roan joked that she “becomes robotic” when speaking to the audience and feels much more comfortable singing, dancing and “being weird” on stage.

Chappell Roan dazzled the Lost Horizon with her soulful vocals and minimal arrangements. She released her debut EP, School Nights, last year.

Dan Lyon | Contributing Photograhper

The musician played “Lavish,” a song that has yet to be officially released but is Roan’s favorite song she’s ever written. As she played the song’s beginning notes on the keyboard, she told the audience that she wrote it when she was 16 or 17.

Later, in an ode to Irish musician Dolores O’Riordan, Roan sang “Dreams” by The Cranberries, a song the audience seemed very familiar with. The crowd sang the words with Roan, who was illuminated by changing overhead lights as she danced around onstage.

Roan’s announcement that she was about to play her final song, “Sugar High,” was met with boos — the audience didn’t want her set to end. She mentioned during her set that the music video accompanying “Sugar High” would be released this week.

After Roan’s set was complete, Declan McKenna took the stage.

After the show was over, Roan met fans at her merchandise table and gave every fan a poster with her signature in silver Sharpie ink. She greeted fans and thanked them for attending the show, offering to take pictures with every concertgoer.