Clubs Guide

Want to get involved in a campus organization this semester? Here’s your guide:

Sydney March | Staff Illustrator

Whether you stuck to your normal routine last semester or joined a bunch of new clubs, there are plenty of ways to get more involved on campus this spring. Syracuse University is home to more than 300 registered student organizations, including cultural, professional and religious organizations, among others. If you’re looking to try new things and meet new people, here are a few suggestions — from clubs that’ll get you moving to clubs that’ll help you help others.

Active Minds

Members of Active Minds at SU focus on raising awareness about mental health issues, reducing the stigma toward people living with mental illness and promoting self-health.

Throughout the year, the club brings in therapy dogs, hosts stress-relief events and brings speakers to campus. In the past, they’ve created an art installation on the Quad based on what mental health means to people across campus.

All of Active Minds’ club meetings and events are posted on their Facebook page, and any interested students can attend. General body meetings are every other Tuesday evening. There are no membership fees required to be a part of the club.

Active Minds listens to SU students as well as organizations like the Counseling Center to hear concerns about support and resources.

“I like that we’re able to connect the gap between administration and students,” said Thandar Zone, Active Minds’ engagement chair. “We see how everyone is very willing and wanting to help.”

Zone added that the stigma behind mental health shouldn’t deter people from coming to meetings. You don’t need to be living with mental illnesses to participate, she explained.

“We’re open, we’re just here to help,” Zone said.

Black Box Players

From organizing technical workshops to presenting cabarets, Black Box Players offers students of all majors a creative outlet.

“Our mission is to provide a theater experience to the university and surrounding communities,” said Sasha Falsberg, one of the production managers of Black Box Players.

The group, which is open to all SU students, meets Fridays at 5 p.m. in room 240 of the Syracuse Stage/ SU Drama Complex. Meetings typically involve theater games, workshops or readings of student work.

Black Box Players produces a show each semester. This spring’s production — a 1980s version of Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing” — opens on Feb. 23 and runs through March 3.

“We just try and put student work out there and have fun through theater,” Falsberg said.

Camp Kesem

Those who thrive off of helping others may find their niche at Camp Kesem. The group focuses on providing support to children whose parents have cancer.

The SU chapter of Camp Kesem is one of more than 100 across the country that fundraises to help send these children to a week-long summer camp for free. Beyond just this week, Camp Kesem provides a year-long support system for any children affected.

Between 60 and 70 people regularly attend SU’s meetings, along with 47 counselors. Anyone who’s interested can join the general body and help with different committees for the camp.

To become a counselor for the summer camp, students must complete an application and do an in-person interview; then they complete intensive training.

“Camp Kesem is looking for passionate, fun, loving, outgoing, driven student leaders that want to make an impact on the Syracuse University community, in particular with children who have been affected by a parent’s cancer,” said Gabi Brooks, a counselor and active member of the SU chapter.

DanceWorks

DanceWorks, one of the largest dance organizations on campus, offers students a chance to express themselves and share their passion for dance with others. The group offers a variety of dance styles, including lyrical, jazz, ballet, belly dancing and contemporary, at varied ability levels, said Nikki Cullinan, director of DanceWorks and senior at SU.

Auditions for the dances take place in September, and weekly rehearsals take place at the same times throughout the semester. Students can decide which dances they want to participate in based on their schedule, allowing people to dedicate as much or as little time to the group as they desire, Cullinan said.

No matter your level of involvement, the director said DanceWorks always brings the fun.

“We all have such a passion for dance,” Cullinan said. “I’ve met my best friends through DanceWorks. There’s nothing like your dance friends.”

This year, the “DanceWorks Spring Spectacular” will be held March 2 and 3 at 8 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Tickets go on sale at the Schine Box Office a week before the show. If you’re intrigued, check out the show to see if auditioning next September is the right choice for you.