Moderate Column

Meet The D.O.’s new Moderate columnist, who thinks the most diverse political opinion is a moderate one

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

During a time when different news sources tell different stories about a politically divided country, pop culture has painted a picture of two distinct groups of Americans separated by political lines. There’s seemingly no room for a middle ground.

But this perception on social media and television screens is far from reality. The idea that all Americans can be lumped into two categories, conservative or liberal, underestimates the diversity of the ideas and beliefs Americans hold — which makes this country what it is. While perspectives on specific topics may vary, I believe many Americans share similar beliefs.

liberalsconservagtice-embedded-gfx

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The most diverse perspectives and beliefs are held by self-identifying moderates. Moderatism allows for an open mind and enables individuals to analyze issues through their personal lens. I see this as the reason most moderates identify as they do. I see myself as a free thinker who is open to ideas along the political spectrum, instead of looking at things as strictly left or right.

Since moderates can analyze political issues without partisan labels getting in the way, I don’t seek to be a spokesman on behalf of all moderates. Through my column, I want to speak for my opinions and how I see the world unfolding, which can provide one voice out of many for moderate Americans.

I hope this column can act as a middle ground for conservatives, liberals, moderates and citizens who don’t identify with a political label to hear a perspective that can further discussion on the topics affecting us all.

The best part about this column is its future is mostly unknown. Through insightful interviews and interesting topics, I hope to come away with more questions in mind than when I started. I hope this will support a deeper discussion of these topics in the Syracuse community, with openness to the ideas of people from all degrees and variations on the great American political spectrum.

As a journalism student at Syracuse University, I love to follow the news, and I came to Syracuse to study how to best cover the news. Through this column, I will provide an outlook on the things we all care about. And hopefully, in doing so, I can inspire thought and discussion among those who read.

Daniel Loftus is a freshman broadcast and digital journalism major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @danielploftus.