Liberal column

Meet The D.O.’s new Liberal columnist, who’s determined to put an end to the word’s negative connotations

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

New York liberals are rising in influence heading into the 2018 midterm elections.

When I was 10 years old, I asked my mom what it meant to be a Democrat. She described it in simple terms: progressive thinking. After looking up “progressive” in the dictionary, I knew I wanted it to be part of my identity.

Being progressive means I want our society to move forward and change for the better. Growing older and learning about the complexities of political parties and identities only confirmed my strong, liberal political stance.

During the first year of the Trump administration, the United States has taken many steps backward in regards to social, political and economic reform. In an era when free speech and protests are under attack by the same man representing our Constitution, speaking your mind couldn’t be more important.

Like other institutions of higher education, Syracuse University is an advocate for allowing people to be heard. It fosters an environment that provides different perspectives on real-world issues that relate to the Syracuse community. And as a student on a college campus in the midst of an unprecedented political climate, I’ve been able to have open conversations with students and faculty.

The term “liberal” has too often been pulled out of context and given a negative connotation, used synonymously with “crooked,” “corrupt” and “fake news.” But when students are well-informed and present their arguments with research and reliable sources, the conversation changes from an argument to a discussion.

Enrolling in college isn’t only about learning and growth, but also sharpening and sharing the most important tool we have: our voices. And when we use knowledge and facts, understanding can pave the path toward tolerance to foster a more progressive and democratic society.

Lauren Silverstein is an undeclared freshman in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].