3 takeaways from Mayor Ben Walsh’s ‘state of the city’ speech

Dan Lyon | Contributing Photographer

Walsh expressed interest in expanding career and technical education programs.

Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh on Wednesday gave an address to a packed auditorium at Fowler High School’s PSLA, providing several updates on ongoing economic development initiatives as part of a “state of the city” speech.

He also acknowledged concerns about a possible option for the Interstate 81 replacement project, detailed vocational training possibilities for local students and announced recommendations made by a public safety committee formed during his transition into office.

Here are three key takeaways from his speech:

Interstate 81

Walsh, in his speech Wednesday night, acknowledged concerns of several suburban towns surrounding Syracuse in regards to the I-81 project.

The I-81 viaduct, which bisects the city, was expected to reach the end of its useful life in 2017. The New York State Department of Transportation is considering different options as to how to replace the aging overpass, which is crumbling in some spots.

Walsh has long been a supporter of a community grid option for the highway. That option would redirect interstate traffic east around the city on Interstate 481 and cost an estimated $1.3 billion.

Suburban officials have previously said they do not support the grid option, fearing that it could harm their communities and the greater Syracuse area as a whole, with less traffic moving through the city’s center.

“In Salina, I have heard concerns about the potential loss of tax base from hotels and other businesses if through traffic were to diminish in any way,” Walsh said.

He also acknowledged that Destiny USA, a large mall on the northern edge of the city, has voiced concerns about a grid rebuild option. Walsh, though, again reaffirmed his support for the grid.

Vocational training

Walsh also highlighted the Syracuse City School District’s career and technical education programs, known as CTEs. Some students have the opportunity to earn college credits or obtain an associate’s degree through Onondaga Community College, Walsh said.

“The Syracuse City School District has (CTEs) that are so robust and so rigorous that they are the envy of suburban school districts throughout the state of New York,” Walsh said.

As of 2014, there were six CTE programs in the district, Walsh said, but there are also 26 proposed programs from industries including cybersecurity, computer forensics and electrical trades.

The city currently has a task force looking into whether CTE programs could be used for local middle school students’ curriculum, Walsh said.

Public safety

Walsh announced that recommendations provided by a public safety committee established during his transition into office includes an assessment of the Citizen Review Board process. The Citizen Review Board focuses on police accountability.

In total, the committee has detailed more than 20 ideas to help improve public safety in Syracuse, the mayor said. Those recommendations also include creating recreational and job opportunities for teenagers, Walsh said.

The mayor also better detailed the national search for a police chief replacement. Frank Fowler, the current Syracuse Police Department chief, is planning to retire at the end of the year. Walsh said he expects a new chief to be hired in November.

“We expect the public engagement phase to run from February through April. With that input, we intend to define the characteristics and requirements of our next chief in May,” Walsh said. “The search will be conducted between June and October, considering candidates both here in our community and around the country.”