Veterans and Military Affairs

2 JPMorgan Chase & Co. executives appointed to IVMF advisory board

Jes Sheldon | Staff Photographer

The Institute for Veterans and Military Families is an interdisciplinary academic institute focused on veterans affairs and research.

Two high-ranking JPMorgan Chase & Co. executives have been appointed to the external advisory board for the Institute for Veterans and Military Families, the university announced Thursday.

JPMorgan Chase & Co. Vice Chairman John Donnelly accepted a board role and the company’s global chief administrative officer, David Owen, has accepted a role as co-chairman of the advisory board, according to an SU News release. Daniel D’Aniello, a Syracuse University alumnus, is also a co-chairman.

D’Aniello, co-founder of a multinational private equity firm called the Carlyle Group, has donated millions of dollars to veteran programs, including the IVMF.

The IVMF, while founded at SU by Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Innovation Mike Haynie, is considered a soft money institution. It doesn’t receive funds from the university. JPMorgan Chase & Co. donated $7.5 million to help the IVMF get off the ground. In 2016, the company also donated $13.8 million to the IVMF, an interdisciplinary academic institute focused on veterans affairs and research.

“Both David and John have been longtime advocates for the nation’s veterans and military-connected families, and we’re excited that these world-class leaders will join the IVMF mission,” Haynie said in the news release.

Both Donnelly’s and Owen’s experience with global financial institutions and global business development will help the IVMF to grow its external programs and sustainability, the news release stated.

Donnelly previously worked with JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Veteran Business Resource Group and is on the company’s external Military and Veterans advisory council. Owens previously served in the U.S. Army Reserve.

The IVMF has external programs promoting veteran entrepreneurship and career training.

Other IVMF advisory board members include alumnus Brian Iglesias, head of sports for Verizon Entertainment; Frank Bisignano, chief executive officer of First Data Corporation; and Bruce Mosler, chairman of global brokerage for Cushman & Wakefield Inc.