ON CAMPUS

Syracuse University alumnus donates $3.5 million to Archbold Gymnasium renovation

Katie Reahl | Contributing Photographer

The second floor of the renovated building will be dedicated to Kwang Tan, who donated $3.5 million to the Archbold Gymnasium renovation project.

A Syracuse University alumnus donated $3.5 million to support the upcoming Archbold Gymnasium renovation, the university announced Friday.  

Kwang Tan, who received his Ph. D. from the College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 1973, said he wanted to support the project because it positively impacts the student experience, according to an SU News release.

Catherine Tan Chan, who said she was Tan’s sister, on Friday said Tan was an employee at IBM when he was enrolled at SU. Tan is now in his 80s, she said.

As part of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s 20-year Campus Framework infrastructure plan, Archbold Gymnasium will be renamed “The Arch.” The building will be expanded by 7,000 square feet and feature a new multi-floor fitness center, rock climbing wall and multi-activity sports court.

Campus health services programs, including the Counseling Center and health services office, will also be consolidated in the renovated building.

The second floor of The Arch will be dedicated to Tan, according to the release.

The university expects to complete the project in fall 2019. SU previously estimated the cost of the gym renovations to cost $50 million.

Tan’s gift is the second multimillion-dollar donation to the project announced by the university in recent months. This summer, SU announced Steven Barnes, chairman of SU’s Board of Trustees, along with his wife, Deborah, donated $5 million to the project.