From the Kitchen

Rise & Grind Cafe offers specialty drinks and relaxed vibes

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Rise & Grind is Syracuse's latest addition to the coffee scene.

UPDATED: Dec. 6, 2017 at 6 p.m.

Rise & Grind Cafe gives its baristas the opportunities to create specialty drinks aside from its coffee and teas.

The cafe recently opened on West Genesee Street and has since received compliments from the community, owner Marty Richardson said.

“The community has been so kind,” she said. “They’ve been so appreciative about the cafe and what we are trying to do, and that makes me so happy.”

Richardson also runs Nestico’s Too, a diner a few doors down, but decided she wanted a place for families and friends to slow down and enjoy a drink.

“People like to hang out sitting around and just drinking coffee,” she said. “I really just wanted to make something that is like a grown-up space, where people can feel comfortable just chilling, reading a book or chatting with friends.”

Drawing from her creative vision, despite some criticism, Richardson decided to create a coffee destination and not a stop-and-go. She decorated the place with cozy lights, comfortable furniture and a grand fireplace.

The warm and comfy decor is mirrored with the cafe’s combination of classic caffeinated beverages, like lattes, but with an emphasis on specialty drinks. Barista Darian Meggesto has since coined the name “the creator” because of her ability to make new “drinks on the fly.”

“Something I really love about Marty is that she really lets us use our own creativity to basically create the menu every day,” said Cory Rake, a barista at Rise & Grind.

Baristas are given the freedom to not only master the menu but also take an interest in their own concoctions, Rake said. His specialty drink is the Bleeding Heart, made from raspberries, blueberries, pomegranate and a touch of mango all to make a black tea lemonade with a twist.

Meggesto, on the other hand, has mastered blended drinks and added that a customer helped name her Caramel Apple Crisp drink — a steamed apple cider blended with cinnamon, whipped cream and caramel.

In the future, Meggesto said customers can expect specialty summer drinks as well as paninis and açaí bowls.

“I love the bonds I can form with the customers here,” Rake said. “I want to see people happy and to come in here and slow down for a bit.”

He explained that aside from coffee and tea, Rise & Grind offers a place for customers to come and meet new people while relaxing.

“It’s just such a rewarding sight,” Richardson added. “Families come and sit here on Saturday mornings. Couples meet up here to talk. People come to get some work done. I love it.”

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, “the creator” title was misattributed. Barista Darian Meggesto is the creator. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the decorator of Rise & Grind Cafe was misstated. Owner Marty Richardson decorated the shop. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the name of a specialty dish served at Rise & Grind was misstated. The cafe serves açaí bowls. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Darian Meggesto was misgendered. The Daily Orange regrets this error.