CRIME

Police: Man arrested in connection to Acropolis Pizza stabbing

Courtesy of Syracuse Police Department

Reddell Smith, 32, was arrested was charged with assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree in connection to a stabbing at Acropolis Pizza earlier this month.

UPDATED: Thursday, Dec. 21 at 12:12 a.m.

Syracuse police have arrested a man identified as a suspect in a stabbing that took place in Acropolis Pizza on Marshall Street earlier this month.

Reddell Smith, 32, was arrested by detectives who work with the Syracuse Police Department’s Gang Violence Task Force on Monday, according to a press release issued Wednesday by Sgt. Richard Helterline, an SPD spokesman.

Three Syracuse residents were stabbed in the pizzeria at about 2:30 a.m. on Dec. 10. In a public safety notice sent to the Syracuse University community that morning, police said they were searching for two suspects with knives who were last seen running north from the intersection of Marshall Street and University Avenue.

Smith was charged with assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, police said. He was later lodged in the Onondaga County Justice Center.

Helterline said the stabbing investigation is ongoing and additional arrests are possible.

According to a Syracuse Police Department press release issued on Dec. 10, one of the victims, 19, was stabbed in the neck and the other, 19, was stabbed in the abdomen and back. Neither of their injuries appear to be life threatening, Helterline said at the time.

The third victim, 20, was also stabbed in the neck and is listed in critical but stable condition at the State University of New York Upstate Medical University. The other two victims were also transported to SUNY Upstate.

An SU spokeswoman on Dec. 10 confirmed that no students were involved in the reported stabbing incident “nor was anyone involved affiliated with SU.”

Crimes have repeatedly occurred over the years just outside or near the pizzeria. In September 2015, four people not affiliated with SU were stabbed during a fight outside Acropolis. In September 2012, a Syracuse man not affiliated with SU was stabbed in the business’s doorway.

This post has been updated with appropriate style.