Stock watch: Eric Dungey up, Cole Murphy down

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Alton Robinson, pictured here against Clemson on Oct. 13, wreaked havoc Saturday in Tallahassee, sacking FSU quarterback James Blackman twice.

Syracuse (4-5, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) returned from its bye week to lose a heartbreaker, 27-24, in Tallahassee, Florida, against Florida State (3-5, 3-4 ACC) on Saturday. Senior kicker Cole Murphy missed his second field goal of the game as time expired. The loss keeps SU winless on the road and means the Orange will need to win two of its final three games to ensure bowl eligibility.

Here’s a look at some of the notable performances from the game.

Stock up

Eric Dungey

The junior quarterback spent time on the sidelines after suffering an apparent foot injury during SU’s first drive. During that time, the Orange offense went cold as two of the three drives were three-and-outs. Dungey told head coach Dino Babers he wanted to play to win and returned in the second quarter.

For the rest of the game, while clearly in pain, Dungey kept SU within striking distance. He rushed for a career-high 109 yards and a touchdown, giving him the all-time record for rushing scores by a Syracuse quarterback. He nearly orchestrated the comeback, but SU fell short. That cannot be pinned solely on him.

Dungey’s health, as seen on Saturday and last season, is the biggest variable for SU. He wore a boot after the game and wasn’t available to the media because he was receiving treatment. If SU can keep him on the field for the next three games, it’ll have a much better chance at making a bowl game. And it appears he’ll do just about anything to make sure he’s out there.

Alton Robinson

With injuries to Kendall Coleman and Brandon Berry thinning the defensive line in recent weeks, there’s an opportunity for others to step up. Alton Robinson has been one to take advantage. He recorded two sacks and another quarterback hurry Saturday. On a day where Seminole quarterback James Blackman got roughed up, Robinson was the most obvious aggressor.

Coleman returned against FSU after not playing since Sept. 23 against Louisiana State. The combination of Coleman and Robinson should be a boost for a Syracuse front seven.

Dynamic duo

Yet again, SU’s senior receiver combination of Steve Ishmael and Ervin Philips posted big numbers. Each finished with 12 receptions, with Ishmael tallying 143 yards and Philips 107. Ishmael hauled in a 34-yard touchdown late in the first half that brought SU within one possession of tying FSU. Philips became SU’s all-time receptions leader late in the third quarter.

But on a day of defensive lapses and an abysmal rushing attack, the connection between Dungey and his senior targets was again the highlight for the Orange offense.

Stock down

Cole Murphy

Murphy had the best game of his career before the bye week and one of his worst in recent memory after it. While he did convert on a 42-yard attempt in the third quarter, he missed a 48-yard attempt in the first quarter, which was recorded as a blocked kick, and another 43-yard attempt as time expired. The latter would have sent the game to overtime.

Murphy is 17-for-21 on the season and largely improved from a season ago when he made just 56 percent of his field goals. He is a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, given to the nation’s top kicker. But he had a chance to be a hero on Saturday and missed.

Secondary receivers

Even 24 receptions from Ishmael and Philips can’t mask the fact that the rest of SU’s offensive weapons totaled seven catches — four from junior running back Dontae Strickland and one each from sophomore wide receivers Devin C. Butler and Jamal Custis and junior tight end Ravian Pierce. That is more than 75 percent of the passing offense between two players.

Syracuse hasn’t scored more than 30 points since a Week 3 win against Central Michigan. Basing the offense on two players is a not a recipe for long term success, and Babers has admitted he needs more players to step up. It hasn’t happened yet.

Running game

SU’s rushing attack that appeared to turn a corner against Clemson and Miami regressed against FSU. While Dungey ran for his career high, Strickland took 10 carries for 20 yards and sophomore Moe Neal had six carries for the same output. Besides a forgetful September day at North Carolina State, when SU rushed for a total of 59 yards, Saturday’s 40 yards was the worst production from SU’s non-Dungey rushers so far this season.