Onondaga County Health Department hopes to combat opioid crisis by tackling child abuse and neglect

Courtesy of KPJR Films

"Resilience" is a documentary following recent studies on the link between toxic stress in early childhood and the effects it has on the brain.

The effects of childhood trauma, including physical and sexual abuse, are explored in “Resilience,” a featured documentary that will be screened in Syracuse on Wednesday.

The film will conclude the Gifford Foundation’s “What if…” film series in partnership with ArtRage Gallery, the Onondaga County Health Department and Syracuse City School District Parent University. It will be screened at the Institute of Technology at Central on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free and will be followed by a discussion session.

“Resilience: The Biology of Stress & The Science of Hope” debuted at the Sundance Film Festival in 2016 and was directed by James Redford and written by Jen Bradwell. In light of recent studies on the biological effects of child abuse, the film explores the severe effects manifested later in life.

Dr. Indu Gupta, the county health commissioner, originally requested the film be screened for the foundation’s event because of Onondaga County’s opioid addiction problem, said Maria Senecal-Reilly of the Onondaga County Health Department. The county recently received a state government grant of $1.8 million to fight the crisis.

“Studies have shown child abuse leads to drug abuse later on in life, including opioids,” Senecal-Reilly said.

The aim of the film is to make residents of Syracuse more aware of the issue and ties into the film series’ overarching theme.

“There is a connection more generally between substance abuse in families, and abuse and neglect of children,” said Larry Lewandowski, a professor of psychology at Syracuse University. “Statistically speaking, your risk is much higher in those situations.”

Scientists are learning that everything and anything has an effect on brain function, whether that is constant fear, stimulation, being physically harmed or yelled at, Lewandowski said. He added that child abuse “goes beyond what we usually consider” and can include the active disruption of a child’s safety, security and basic needs.

The “What if…” film series, started in 2010, is an effort by the Gifford Foundation, an independent private foundation based in central New York, to begin a dialogue on ways to improve the community.

“We wanted to provide examples to residents on how to improve their community,” said Heidi Holtz, director of research and projects for the foundation. “Films are primarily for the community, chosen by the community and on how to improve the community.”

In 2012, the series was handed over to the ArtRage Gallery, but its funding is still largely provided by the foundation.

“We screen all sorts of films on different issues, and the idea is ‘How can we change our community and make it better for ourselves?’ ‘What if…we tried this in Syracuse?’” said Kimberley McCoy, community engagement organizer for ArtRage Gallery.

For every series, the organization aims to not only highlight problems in the greater Syracuse area but provide solutions as well. One of the organization’s solutions includes inspiring “community organization.”

“People that are interested in childhood development will find this particularly captivating” McCoy said.