ON CAMPUS

College Republicans, Democrats square off over immigration, health care in rare debate

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

The College Democrats and College Republicans had three members each debate topics such as immigration and gun control.

UPDATED: Nov. 30, 2017 at 4:02 p.m.

Syracuse University students, faculty and other community members packed into Maxwell Auditorium on Wednesday night to watch a debate between the College Republicans and College Democrats groups, which at times grew heated as students argued over some contentious policy issues.

Grant Reeher, a political science professor in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, moderated the debate, which was structured to cover four issues: health care, abortion, immigration and gun control. Teams of three members from each group debated each topic.

Health care

The College Republicans said the Affordable Care Act — also known as “Obamacare” — should be repaired and replaced.

Aedan Gillan, a freshman economics major debating for the College Republicans, said the Republican Party’s platform on health care coverage had flaws. But he also said the ACA was the “biggest public policy disaster” in the last 20 years.

“The concept of the act in itself is completely antithetical to the American ideal,” Gillan said, adding that the bill “coerces” citizens to purchase health insurance or pay a tax.

He also said the bill diminishes the concept of personal responsibility in a market where the largest expenses come from patterns of poor, voluntary choices.

Erik Farrar, a sophomore political science major, was one of three students debating for the College Democrats on health care. He said the insurance market fails to provide adequate care for people who can’t afford it, Democrats and Republicans alike.

Both sides agreed the cost of health care in the United States is “ridiculously expensive.”

Abortion and Planned Parenthood

Emma Peca, a freshman political science, Asian American studies and disabilities studies triple major, said Planned Parenthood should not primarily be considered an abortion clinic. She noted that federal funding, under the Hyde Amendment, cannot be used for abortions unless a woman becomes pregnant from incest or rape. The amendment also states that federal funding can be used if continuing the pregnancy would put the woman’s life in danger.

She said Planned Parenthood’s benefits include sexually transmitted disease tests, safe abortions, general health care and relationship counseling, among other services.

Justine Murray, debating for the College Republicans, said Planned Parenthood is a partisan organization that primarily supports the Democratic Party.

Thomas Steelman, a freshman political science and philosophy double major, said videos show that Planned Parenthood “is pretty fond of breaking the law.”

Videos released in 2015 by the Center for Medical Progress, an anti-abortion organization, allege that Planned Parenthood sells fetal tissue for profit. Subsequent investigations have found no evidence of fetal tissue sales by Planned Parenthood clinics, NPR reported.

Steelman also said anti-abortion laws protect the rights of unborn children, which elicited shouts from the audience.

“If you can have a gun, why can’t we have an abortion?” rebutted Jordan Lally, a senior public relations major, as the audience cheered.

The debate between College Democrats and College Republicans took place in Maxwell Aud from 7-9PM on 11/29

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

Immigration

Rody Conway, a freshman economics major debating for the College Republicans, said federal immigration policy is a “fundamentally flawed system.” He said all residents should acknowledge that illegal immigration is “bad” because it violates the law.

He added that a reworked immigration process should require immigrants assimilate “as completely as they can into American society.”

The audience booed when Conway said all immigrants should learn English.

Miguel Aguilera, a chemical engineering major debating for the College Democrats, said he did not speak English as a child. He said Spanish language classes are taught in some schools while immigrants are learning English.

Ben Farquhar, a freshman computer science major debating for the College Democrats, said there should be a limit on the number of immigrants entering the country, but it should be “much, much higher” than it is right now.

Gun control

“Let’s be clear, we’re not here to take away your guns,” Andres Victoria, a sophomore political science major, opened while debating for the College Democrats.

Victoria said the College Democrats were firm believers in the Second Amendment but he believed the founding fathers could not have predicted the weapons available today.

The College Democrats believed in simple, logical regulations on guns, Victoria said.

Alex Wilgocki, a sophomore international relations major debating for the College Republicans, said shootings are “terrible” and should be reduced within the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens.

He added instead of regulations, lawmakers should look at the causes of gun violence, including mental health issues and poverty.

People with mental health issues should be prohibited from buying guns, he said.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, quotes by Andres Victoria were misattributed. The Daily Orange regrets this error.