Family Weekend 2017

Take this quiz to decide what to do with your loved ones this Family Weekend

Sabrina Koenig | Asst. Photo Editor

Central New York offers tons of activities to do during Family Weekend, and a local favorite is visiting Skaneateles Lake.

Family Weekend is a chance for students’ families to come to Syracuse and explore the university and the city. Don’t just stick to things on campus. Explore what the surrounding areas have to offer. Take this quiz to find out what to do with your family this weekend.

screen-shot-2017-10-11-at-11-12-39-pm

Apple orchards

The Syracuse area is home to various award-winning locations for picking fresh seasonal fruit. Peak apple and pumpkin season lasts until the end of the month, and local farm owners said the unseasonable heat hasn’t affected their selection.

Head west of campus to find The Pumpkin Hollow and Tim’s Pumpkin Patch, as well as O’Neill’s Orchard, Burrell’s Navarino Orchard, Deer Run Farms and Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards.

Each site offers local products and attractions, like U-pick tomatoes at Navarino, weekend barbecue at O’Neill’s and organic apple cider at Deer Run Farms. Beak & Skiff, also famous for its line of apple-based alcoholic beverages, was recently named the Best American Apple Orchard in the USA Today 10Best Readers’ Choice Contest of 2017.

All sites are open into the early evening this weekend.

092617_oneillsorchard2_mackenziehuber_cp

The Central New York area provides several topnotch apple orchards like O’Neill’s Orchard (pictured above) which offers pesticide-free potatoes, corn and honey.
Mackenzie Huber | Contributing Photographer

Destiny USA

Syracuse is home to the sixth largest shopping center in the country: Destiny USA. The building has 2.4 million square feet of retail space and holds more than 250 stores and services under one roof.

The third floor holds most of the mall’s entertainment spots: RPM Raceway, laser tag, Syracuse Funny Bone, Dave & Buster’s, bowling and an IMAX theater, said Aiden McGuire, director of marketing for Destiny. But when it’s a game day, Destiny bleeds orange.

“When the Syracuse Orange are playing, we see a ton of SU students and fans on property at Destiny USA,” McGuire said. “We put the Syracuse University flag on the roof, LED lighting of orange and blue and Otto is a regular.”

101217_parentsweekend_schlesinger_ape_02

Destiny USA is one of America’s largest malls and offers dozens of retail stores, restaraunts and a movie theater.
Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

If you’re sick of the dining hall or low on cash, have your family take you out for a meal at the nationally acclaimed Dinosaur Bar-B-Que , which was named the country’s best barbeque on Good Morning America.

Popular dishes include the 1/2 Rack of Ribs, the Original BBQ Brisket Sandwich Platter, Jumbo BBQ Chicken Wings, Original Pork BBQ Sandwich and sides of Mac and Cheese and Bar-B-Que Beans. The restaurant’s entrees and products have been featured on several Food Network and Travel Channel shows, and its spice rub and specialty sauces are sold throughout the United States, Europe and Japan.

101217_parentsweekend_schlesinger_ape_04

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is regularly packed with a long waiting list during Syracuse University events – making it a go-to Family Weekend spot.
Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Football game

The Orange will host the Clemson Tigers in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. Friday. The No. 2 Tigers will come to the Dome undefeated as the reigning national champions.

Student Association will provide 1,000 tickets to the game. Tickets are also available on the Dome’s website and at the Carrier Dome Box Office.

The game provides an opportunity for families to cheer on SU — whether or not they’re Orange fans. Teach your family why the Dome is called “The Loud House,” and show them the “key plays” on third down while fans scream, bang on the bleachers and jingle their keys to get loud for the defense.

football_toddmichalek_cp_365

The Syracuse Men’s Football team will play the Clemson Tigers at the Carrier Dome.
Todd Michaelek | Contributing Photographer

Skaneateles

About 25 minutes away from Syracuse University, The Sherwood Inn in Skaneateles provides dining and hospitality. The inn is located across the street from vineyards and wine tasting rooms, hiking trails and several restaurants.

“It’s right in the middle of all the harvest,” said Nancy Ramirez of The Sherwood Inn. “We’ve got all the wineries and we also have White Birch Vineyards and their tasting rooms are just feet away from our front door.”

The Skaneateles area features spa rooms, shops, bakeries, boat rides, fishing, cooking classes and wine and beer tastings. So for all the upperclassmen, this is a great place to bond with your family and stock up your refrigerator.

1__4__1024

Skaneateles is on the other end of Destiny USA on Onondaga Lake.
Sabrina Koenig | Asst. Photo Editor

Wegmans

Getting to the grocery store can be hard, and actually paying for groceries is harder. Take the chance to gather your favorite snacks, beverages and produce. The closest Wegmans is located about 15 minutes driving distance from campus on 4256 James St. in East Syracuse.

This location features an in-store bakery, pharmacy and sub shop. And maybe after loading up on groceries, your family will offer to make your favorite dish or help you out with food prep for upcoming week.

wegmans-store-front-1

Wegmans is a Syracuse grocery hotspot, so bring your parents and stock up on groceries for winter.
Courtesy of Wegmans