Homecoming Guide 2017

Proud to be Orange: Past Homecoming winners reflect on court perks

Courtesy of Jen Bundy

Class of 2016 nominees for Homecoming Court pose for a picture with Otto.

One lesser-known perk of winning an Orange Central Royalty title: You get an orange bathrobe.

Jen Bundy, Class of 2015, still has the fuzzy garment she got when she won her title in fall 2014. But she and other past winners agree that there are many perks to being homecoming court besides the merchandise they get.

In preparation for the annual homecoming football game each fall, students are nominated for the court by members of the Syracuse University community and selected by the Homecoming Court Selection Committee. Nominees must be graduating that academic year and be on campus during the fall semester. The king and queen are selected by an online vote and crowned during Orange Central, according to the Orange Central website.

Nominees are among the highest-achieving, most involved and most spirited seniors on campus. All are involved in different clubs and engage in various types of volunteerism.

“It was an honor to be among some of the other phenomenal individuals that embody what it means to be a Syracuse student,” Miracle Rogers, Class of 2017, said.

Bundy agreed when Rogers said, “It was wonderful to be with a group of other distinguished peers who all represent what’s best about Syracuse.”

Court members attend various events during the week leading up to the football game, including trivia nights, talent shows, alumni receptions and awards dinners.

Rogers, who received her undergraduate degree in health and exercise science, recalls meeting Robert Jarvik, known for developing the Jarvik-7 artificial heart, at an Orange Central event.

“You really have to believe in Syracuse to be on the court,” Kavell Brown, Class of 2016, said. “You’re a symbol of school spirit.”

The fun continues throughout the year for court members, who get to judge the chili at the winter carnival cook-off and work with university groups, such as the Senior Celebration Planning Committee, to plan the themed Senior Celebration.

Bundy, Rogers and Brown all said a highlight of being on the court was being on the field at the homecoming football game itself.

“It was definitely one of the highlights of my college career,” said Bundy, who graduated with degrees in political science and policy studies.

None of them expected to receive their titles. Brown said he was shocked to win because he felt it was like prom king and queen on a bigger scale.

“I felt like I really embodied what it meant to be an Orange woman,” Rogers said. “Homecoming Queen is the epitome of an Orange woman. I’m so grateful to be Orange.”