Meet Monday

Charged up: Student brings empowerment program to Syracuse

Kayla Anderson | Contributing Writer

Katie Dills, founder of Syracuse CHAARG, became an ambassador in October. Each week the group brings a workout opportunity to campus.

One semester after Katie Dills founded Syracuse CHAARG, the group had 50 members. So far this fall, the program has expanded to 163 and counting.

CHAARG, which stands for Changing Healthy Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls, was created at Ohio State University five years ago and now has about 5,000 members at 37 universities in the United States. The organization is about being your best and healthiest self, according to the CHAARG website.

“Everywhere I go, someone asks me about CHAARG,” said Dills, a junior television, radio and film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.

Dills is also involved with First Year Players, Float Your Boat, Phi Sigma Sigma, OttoTHON and is an orientation leader. CHAARG is holding a fundraiser for OttoTHON this year.

She discovered CHAARG through a friend from home that was involved in the program at the University of Maryland. Dills said she thought it was an awesome organization, so she formed a chapter at Syracuse. She attended an ambassador class and officially became the Syracuse ambassador for CHAARG in October.

The process for starting the program at Syracuse went smoothly, Dills said, with support from the Office of Student Activities when there were hurdles.

“I saw the organization grow ten-fold this semester,” Dills said. “I don’t know why I’m so surprised. It’s such an awesome organization to be a part of.”

Each week, the group brings a workout opportunity to campus, like pure barre or pilates. All members are welcome to participate in the workout. Once a week, members attend a small group where they go to the gym with their group or go on a run, and then journal together or discuss their health. It is a way to bring the organization’s members together in smaller group settings.

This semester, with so many members, Dills said the small groups are going to be especially important.

Dills’ favorite part about being involved with the program is the sense of community. She was a competitive dancer in high school and missed the aspect of being part of a team when she came to college.

“When you join CHAARG, you are also joining a national organization of 8,000 members,” Dills said. “Everyone is so supportive.”

Dills also missed doing weekly exercise classes. She said that back home, in Toledo, Ohio, she and her mom enjoy doing hot yoga together.

In the spring, Dills plans to spend a semester in the SU Los Angeles program, so someone will be taking her place as president of the program. She said it is bittersweet, but she is looking forward to seeing the organization grow while she is gone.