Weekend Events

8 things to do in Syracuse this weekend

Reception for SU Human Rights Film Festival

When: Thursday, reception at 6 p.m., screening at 7 p.m.
Where: Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse 3
Cost: Free

To kick off the 15th anniversary of the SU Human Rights Film Festival, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is hosting a screening of the film “For Ahkeem,” with directors Jeremy Levine and Landon Van Soest. Directly proceeding the screening, there will be a reception in the main lobby of Newhouse 3 with refreshments.

Exhibition Talk: Monumental

When: Thursday at 6:30
Where: Everson Museum of Art
Cost: Free with museum admission

Mary Ann Calo will lead a discussion about the exhibit “Monumental” now on display at the Everson Museum of Art. Calo is a professor emerita of art history who recently retired from Colgate University, where she taught modern and contemporary art.

Mike Gordon at The Westcott Theater

When: Friday at 9 p.m.
Where: The Westcott Theater
Cost: $27.50-$30

Bassist Mike Gordon is performing at The Westcott Theater on Friday. Gordon is a co-founder of the seminal improvisational rock band Phish. Doors open at 8 p.m.

OAD “Survey Says” Game Show

When: Friday at 10 p.m.
Where: Schine Underground
Cost: Free

Head over to Schine on Friday night for Orange After Dark’s game night, based on the popular TV show “Family Feud.” The event is free for students, so don’t forget to bring your Syracuse University ID.

Root Shock, Old Deer Ensemble

When: Friday from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
Where: Funk ‘n Waffles downtown
Cost: $10-$15

This Friday, experience Reggae night at Funk ‘n Waffles downtown. Local favorites Root Shock and Old Deer Ensemble will be performing.

Wine Tour

When: Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Multiple vineyards
Cost: $30 for SUNY-ESF grads and $44 for guests

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry Graduate Student Association is hosting wine tours of three vineyards in the Finger Lakes. The vineyards include Wagner Vineyards Estate Winery, Knapp Winery and Vineyard Restaurant and Toro Run Winery. Participants can catch a ride on the Onondaga Couch Charter bus to transport to and from the sites.

6th Annual Kale Fest

When: Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Carol Watson Greenhouse
Cost: Free

Learn how to make kale dishes with a Spanish twist with chef Gabriel Sanchez. Kale tasting will be happening from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Carol Watson Greenhouse.

Ron Pope at The Westcott Theater

When: Saturday at 8 p.m.
Where: The Westcott Theater
Cost: $18-$95

American pop and rock singer-songwriter Ron Pope will perform at The Westcott Theater on Saturday with Ages & Ages and The Heart Of. Pope performed on MTV’s “Total Request Live” as a featured up-and-coming-artist.