Tyus Battle rounds out offensive game with improvement of mid-range jumper

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Tyus Battle's ability to drive then come to a halt for a pull-up jumper has only added to his already diverse skill set.

Rick Pitino knew Tyus Battle was well-regarded in high school. He recruited the guard and visited him at Gill St. Bernard’s (New Jersey) High School. But the Louisville head coach also knew Battle needed time to develop the same reputation in college.

After watching him in person again at Syracuse (17-13, 9-8 Atlantic Coast) two weeks ago and then on tape three more times after that, Pitino was impressed. And when Battle dropped a team-high 20 points against the Cardinals on Sunday, Pitino’s thoughts were validated.

“Seeing him up close and personal yesterday,” Pitino said Monday, “he’s even more impressive.

“Because he puts it on the floor, he’s got a good mid-range game. He’s going to get better and better.”

Battle’s three 2-point jumpers rounded out his trio of 3-pointers and one layup against the then-No. 7 Cardinals. With one regular-season game remaining, Saturday against Georgia Tech (17-13, 8-9) in the Carrier Dome, Battle has hit 45.5 percent of his 2-point jump shots, according to Hoop-math.com. After beginning the season effective from 3 and improving his driving at the start of conference play, Battle’s developed his mid-range game, the most recent addition to his diverse offensive arsenal.

Of the freshman shooting guard’s 240 field-goal attempts, 55 (22.9 percent) have been 2-point jump shots, per Hoop-math. Fifty-two (21.7 percent) have come at the rim and 133 (55.4 percent) from behind the 3-point line.

In nonconference play, though, 69.6 percent of his shot attempts were 3-pointers. Since ACC play began, that number dropped to 48.4 percent. Battle has grown accustomed to defenses in college and is now less hesitant to penetrate toward the basket. Instead of opponents forcing him to settle for longer shots, Battle is the one dictating and creating for himself.

After the Orange lost to Louisville by 20 on Sunday, SU head coach Jim Boeheim said Battle was his only player “that tried to attack.” The Cardinals dared both Battle and graduate transfer Andrew White to dribble to the basket, Boeheim said. White struggled, Battle didn’t.

“With Louisville you have to drive them right away,” Battle said. “It’s hard to really get to the basket against them because all five of them converge. So it’s either a pull-up or a kick-out 3.”

suvslv_jessicasheldonsp-5

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

But Battle didn’t dish out a single assist on Sunday. When he got inside, he found ways to hit the pull-up jumper he has used more and more as the season’s progressed or sneak his way in to hit the layup. He scored 12 of SU’s first 17 points.

In the final seven minutes against then-No. 9 Virginia on Feb. 4, Battle hit two mid-range shots. The first came off the dribble and pushed Syracuse’s lead to five. The second, a floater at the end of the shot clock, doubled the Orange’s lead to four in the eventual four-point win.

In the final six minutes against then-No. 10 Duke on Feb. 22, Battle hit three more pivotal 2-point jumpers. On the first, he dribbled around a screen and elevated before the help defender could get in his way. On the second, Battle feigned a drive before stepping back to create space, clapping once the ball fell in. On the third, he performed a similar move and shook his head with 14 second-half points en route to victory.

“He just knows how to get himself just enough wiggle room to get up for a shot,” White said. “That’s kind of just his natural instinct. … He knows how to get those shots off. He knows how to get leverage. He has some gamer in him.”

Battle said he’s always been good at pull-up jumpers, a move he whipped out often in high school. He used it to counter defenders who tried to draw charges when he’d drive. In college, it’s the third element to Battle’s increasingly dangerous offensive game.

As Syracuse eyes a possible NCAA Tournament berth, it’s likely going to need everything it can get from its dynamic freshman. Battle is healthy again and now possesses a reliable third dimension to beat defenders.

“A lot of teams like to force me off the 3 so if I drive, they like to take charges,” Battle said. “I’m just pulling up and trying to find the open spot to score. It’s been successful so far so I’m going to keep on going to it.”