Syracuse football’s Ervin Philips shines at thin inside receiver spot

Jessica Sheldon | Photo Editor

Ervin Philips tied a program record for catches in a game with 14 against Colgate.

By the end of Syracuse’s matchup with Colgate, Ervin Philips’ accomplishment had fallen to the back of several others. He had tied Art Monk’s single-game receptions record at 14, a Syracuse record that had stood for 39 years.

Amba Etta-Tawo’s 210 yards were impressive, but scoring the first touchdown of the Dino Babers era was even bigger. On his first carry, Moe Neal ran nearly untouched through the hole and then dragged a defender a few yards en route to a 49-yard score. The Orange’s defense stifled Colgate for three and a half quarters.

The win itself understandably eclipsed Philips’ career high.

Because of the way Colgate played — it sagged off the inside receivers for parts of the game — Syracuse took advantage of the athleticism gap between the Raiders (0-1) and Orange (1-0). Philips was the main beneficiary. But to get to that point, Philips has had a long road through position changes.

Philips and his fellow inside receiver Brisly Estime have been moved around from position to position during their careers. The former has played running back, H-back and now inside receiver, which suits his skill set well.

Since spring practice, Estime and Philips have practiced exclusively at receiver. Behind them, Syracuse has promising freshmen Sean Riley and Scoop Bradshaw, who switched from defensive back during training camp.

“It’s comfortable, it allows me to sharpen up my game, it allows me to improve at a faster rate,” Philips said of finally playing at one position, “and it allows me to focus on one thing.”

Philips’ emergence is key for Syracuse. The Orange has a lot of potential and fewer proven commodities. Steve Ishmael, Etta-Tawo, Estime and Philips all have flashed their skill set in their careers but none have done so consistently.

Michael Santiago | Contributing Photographer

In 2014, Philips showed promise with 251 rushing and receiving yards on limited touches and then 520 yards and eight touchdowns on more touches last season.

Against Colgate, Philips tallied 87 receiving yards, more than a third of his freshman year stats. Much of that production came on the first drive as SU worked its way down the field. Without a cornerback in front of him, Philips was able to take screens for solid gains. In all, he piled on four catches for 35 yards on the drive.

Philips’ emergence is key for another reason, too: SU’s lack of depth. Other than Estime, Riley and Bradshaw are the only two other options on the inside. Luckily for SU, inside receivers need less technical work than outside receivers, who have to pin down technique because they have less room to work.

“(Riley’s) extremely talented,” Babers said. “… He will get an opportunity to play this year, but he’s young, he makes mistakes and the more he limits his mistakes, the more opportunity he’ll get to play.”

Bradshaw is still working his way into the rotation. Add in that Riley is a freshman, and SU has both its most shallow depth in its most explosive position group.

“They’re young guys,” Philips said. “… Scoop has been on the defense so he’s rough around the edges, but he’s definitely improving.”

When Philips flicks on his own tape from previous years, something he did about a week prior to SU’s matchup with the Raiders, he sees a different receiver.

“I think I improved on getting myself open in press coverage or just making difficult catches,” Philips said.

The receiver on Philips’ game tape is not the same inside receiver anyone watching Syracuse’s matchup against Colgate saw. Since Babers has come in, Philips has adjusted to his new position and, based on the matchup with Colgate, succeeded within the role.

He used the space the Raiders gave him effectively, looked shifty and didn’t drop any passes.

“I think it fits me because I get the opportunity to be in the slot and do some things,” Philips said, “get some mismatches.”