Syracuse community commemorates 15-year anniversary of 9/11 with ceremony

Jonathan Colon | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse first responders look on during a ceremony held downtown Sunday in remembrance of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Silence and a solemn atmosphere overtook Forman Park Sunday morning as Syracuse community members gathered to reflect on the 15-year anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

A combination of more than 100 police officers, firefighters, city officials and residents came to the city for Syracuse’s annual 17 Minutes of Silence Ceremony. The 17 minutes represent the time between when the first plane struck the north tower of the World Trade Center and when the second plane hit the south tower.

More than 2,900 people were killed as four commercial airliners planes crashed into the twin towers, the Pentagon and onto a field in Pennsylvania on Sept. 11, 2001.

As a police and fire honor guard stood to the side, Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner lit six candles in two glass containers at 8:46 a.m., the time American Airlines Flight 11 hit the north tower. Syracuse Fire Department Chief Paul Linnertz and Deputy Police Chief Joe Cecile then placed them on two pedestals representing the twin towers.

Miner stood with her eyes closed and hands crossed in front of her for the 17 minutes of silence until an electronic tone indicated 9:03 a.m., the time United Airlines Flight 175 crashed into the south tower.

Next to the pedestals were two panels of American flags, one on the left side called “Flag of Hero,” dedicated to first responders who died, and on the right side as “Flag of Honor,” representing civilian victims. Names of the victims were shown in white letters and stretched across the stripes.

It was a serene morning in the park, where a gentle breeze occasionally shook off raindrops from leaves on trees and the sunlight appeared and then disappeared from between clouds.

Peter Vinette, a security guard at the New York State Fairgrounds, said he visited the ceremony to show respect to first responders.

“These people are ready to go. These people are ready to make sacrifices,” Vinette said. “I salute to people who put themselves on the frontline for the rest of us.”

As a proud American and veteran who served in the Vietnam War, Vinette added that 9/11 was an attack on freedom.

Miner said after the event that the annual ceremony reflects on people who made the ultimate sacrifice, the families and some of the victims who still live in pain every day.

“It’s something that is with us I think every day, and on the year anniversary we take the opportunity to refresh ourselves about what sacrifice actually means and how unique it is to be an American and how those values are under siege across the world,” Miner said.

Paul Cousins, deputy chief at Syracuse’s Fire Department, said it’s important to remember what really happened, what people lost and that people are still paying the price today.

He added that the city of Syracuse has 390 firefighters who understand risks associated with the job and train so they are ready to respond to crisis.

“In the back of their minds, they understand that the possibility exists they may not go home,” Cousins said.