Politics and Prose art exhibit showcases contemporary issues in historical context

An exhibition showcasing art that provides social commentary and criticism of government practices, Politics on Paper: Art With an Agenda, from the Syracuse University Art Collection, is on display at the Shaffer Art Gallery.

Promoted with a Charles Dickens quote: “Without him, tyrants and humbugs in all countries would have their own way,” the exhibition includes work from many prominent names like Robert Rauschenberg, Andy Warhol and James Rosenquist.

“I think there are a lot of ways to make an impact, either passively or actively. Finding ways for artists, architects, writers and other humanities to engage in current events and therefore engaging in the public is important for the arts as well as the visibility of current events,” said Anya Sanya Behrani, a fifth-year architecture student about the exhibit.

The artwork chosen for the exhibition touches on many social issues, ranging from the establishment of equal rights to income inequality. This is reflected in a sketch by Honoré Daumier, whose anti-racism piece criticizes the insincerity of authority figures in caring for social justice issues, like slavery.

David Claypole Johnson’s “A Pro Slavery Incarnation Scene” is another piece concerned with slavery. It satirizes the government, which let slavery go on for so long.

Mike Riccardi, junior international relations major, said that it is important for SU to promote this kind of discourse solely for the sake of the free expression of ideas.

“The university does not necessarily need to agree with the discourse but just support its expression,” Riccardi said.

Abegail Anderson, a freshman international relations and pre-law major, said she thought it was definitely important that an exhibition of this sort took place at SU because it created an environment of free speech and open conversation.

Especially in today’s era, with the elections going on and so many prominent issues affecting students, the school should definitely promote this.
Abegail Anderson

”Equal Rights are not Special Rights” and “Principles of American Capitalism/ Backed by the Faith and Credit of the U.S. Taxpayer” by Amos Paul Kennedy are also featured in the exhibit. They touch on issues that are currently still being examined, like the establishment of equal rights and income inequality.

“Solely based on criticizing the government and income inequality, the issues directly tie to this year’s election,” Riccardi said.

He also said that criticizing the government is one of the main platforms of the Drumpf campaign and income inequality is a staple principle for the Democrats.

While not necessarily mentioning income inequality, many supporters of the Drumpf campaign do feel the effects and look to him to solve the consequential and related issues.
Mike Riccardi

He added that since these issues were being examined in the pieces included in the exhibit, they’re made more relevant for the student community.

Behrani said that as an artist who also works on social issues, she would be interested in the exhibition.

Said Behrani: “It is important for us to engage in current events to be applicable.”