Editorial Board

New SU policy on deans’ salaries provides more balance in pay grade

/ The Daily Orange

At a private institution like Syracuse University, the prospect of pay cuts may seem like an opportunity to allocate more resources elsewhere. But soon, the university will reduce the salary of officials who have stepped down in the interest of fairness to other faculty members.

SU recently shifted its policy in how it determines the pay grade of its administrative staff and faculty. Originally, SU deans and administrators could step down and still receive 82 percent of their former salary as an ordinary faculty, but SU Senior Vice President of Public Affairs Kevin Quinn said the university will now decide faculty salaries on a case-by-case basis.

Likewise, Bruce Carter, the chair of University Senate Committee on Budget and Fiscal Affairs, said the policy change will be in effect for those hired during and after this fiscal year.

So instead of getting 82 percent of their old salaries, newly-hired deans and administrators will now have paychecks on par with the highest-paid faculty member of the college they join when they step down. It is for this reason that SU should be commended for changing its policy, considering it closes the gap in the levels of faculty payment while also acknowledging ex-deans’ status.

This change came due to concerns of SU faculty members who felt the “82 percent rule” was unfair to other faculty members, who receive pay raises based on research. Deans and administrators can step down, not having done the same level of study, and still receive a higher salary.

Now, with this change in policy, the pay grade plane across faculty members is more even. Of course, ex-deans can be quite involved nationally and in the SU community, but they likely won’t have 82 percent worth of their responsibilities as dean. Essentially, dean or not, faculty members should be compensated for exactly what they contribute to the SU community.

Still, even if ex-deans don’t appear to participate as much in SU administrative life on paper, their status is substantive in relation to their non-dean colleagues. Being given the salary of the respective highest-paid faculty member is valid, as former deans tend to attract special attention from other institutions as well as members of the SU community. Even after stepping down, their role is one of preserving institutional memory and continuing to enhance the school or college they once led.