Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football position battle to watch, No. 3: Michael Lasker vs. Cody Conway

Michael Lasker (67) is listed on the post-spring depth chart as Syracuse's starting left tackle, but he hasn't proven himself over a significant amount of time.

With Syracuse football training camp less than two days away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, will analyze one of the top 10 preseason storylines, top 10 position battles or reveal one of 10 player files each day. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

With Eric Dungey expected to spend more time in the pocket this season, protecting the sophomore’s blindside becomes even more important than last year. Injury-riddled Ivan Foy sufficed at left tackle last year but wasn’t spectacular and now he’s gone.

Dungey’s primary protectors have minimal experience on the offensive line. Fifth-year senior Michael Lasker’s only start there came against Villanova in 2014 and he redshirted last year. Then-freshman Cody Conway played sparingly in six games for the Orange last year.

Conway showed promise last season and was the backup at the position to Foy while Lasker battled injury. Then-offensive coordinator Tim Lester had some high praise for Conway from the get-go, saying it was him who stood out the most among the freshman at the beginning of training camp.

MORE PRESEASON COVERAGE

When Lester was pitching Syracuse to Conway in high school, he advertised Ron Thompson as someone who would help make Conway better in practice. The former SU defensive end left school early for the NFL Draft, and his work against Conway seems to have paid off as the second-year man has a chance to be the youngest starter on the offensive line.

Conway sits behind Lasker on the depth chart as of now, but neither player is proven.

The most important position on Syracuse’s offensive line is the one with the most questions, and the jury is still out on whether the Orange will have protection for Dungey where he needs it most.