Liberal Column

5 takeaways from the 2016 Democratic National Convention

/ The Daily Orange

Liberal columnist Chandler Dunn breaks down the highlights of the the 2016 Democratic National Convention, which wrapped up on Thursday in Philadelphia.

It seems like there has never before been a U.S. presidential election with candidates that are so individually interesting. But the Democratic Party wants you to remember that in this election, the candidate is much less important that the issues at stake. While Hillary Clinton may be the Democratic nominee, all liberals — even those who are exclusively pro-Bernie Sanders—should come together to clear the way for a victory over Donald Trump and ensure their voices are heard.

On the heels of the Republican National Convention, Democrats took their turn holding court this past week at the Wells Fargo Center and the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia. Here are five takeaways from the Democratic National Convention that get to the heart of how the party aims to overcome division to secure unity.

Bernie began the week with a win when Debbie Wasserman Schultz stepped down as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee

The Friday before the DNC was set to begin, WikiLeaks released roughly 22,000 emails from top DNC officials and revealed that the convention organizers made clear attempts to undermine the Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ campaign for Democratic presidential nominee. Two days later, DNC chairperson and Florida representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz said she would be stepping down immediately following the convention.

The emails weren’t a good look for the DNC, as it is supposed to remain neutral during the primaries. What’s more is that the Democratic Party was looking to separate itself from the offensive rhetoric of the Trump campaign and the ludicrous antics currently surrounding the right side of the aisle.

Wasserman Schultz’s resignation, however, is a win for Sanders supporters who had been pushing for her to step down for months, even before the WikiLeaks controversy.

Hillary Clinton makes good on her commitment to Bernie Sanders’ political revolution in the Democratic platform

Sanders did more than preach unity during the convention on Monday: he provided members of the party with concrete evidence of his and Clinton’s adherence to unity.

Sanders said he and the former secretary of state have aligned themselves on issues including minimum wage, overturning Citizen’s United in the Supreme Court and an education proposal ensuring that any child in a family with an annual income less than $125,000 will be able to go to a public college or university for free.

For those who wanted to see Bernie in the Oval, this merging of platforms is the next best thing. The candidates’ union showcases not only the common ground between Clinton and her competitor’s army, but how Sanders will undoubtedly play a part in a Clinton administration. Bernie may not have won the nomination, but he’s definitely made substantial strides in pushing his party further toward a social democracy. So, to any “Bernie or Busters:” a vote for Hillary is a vote for Bernie.

Hillary Clinton officially — and finally — secures the nomination for the Democratic presidential candidate

It’s been touch-and-go for months between Clinton and Sanders. Democrats had pretty much rallied behind Clinton as the nominee in the weeks leading up to the convention, but the WikiLeaks email scandal sparked a conversation once more about how resistant Sanders supporters would be to the idea of Clinton as the Democratic nominee come November.

Though crushed by revelations of the DNC emails, Sanders and other speakers including Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and comedian Sarah Silverman called for unity behind Clinton. The Vermont senator’s confidence in Clinton’s ability to beat Trump was important and remains so as Jill Stein, head of the Green party, vies for Sanders’ votes.

Despite the #BernieOrBust movement, Hillary is the one who should be in office in order for Sanders’ socially democratic ideas to even have a chance at meeting tangible legislation. Clinton can get the job done — not Trump and his subsequent Supreme Court nominees or Stein who lacks the national support to even pose a threat to the Republican candidate.

When it came to the end of the roll call on the floor on Tuesday, Clinton had reached the delegates needed to secure the nomination and Sanders  asked delegates to accept Clinton as the nominee unanimously. History was made.

Former Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, wants you to vote for Hillary

The former Republican — now an Independent— Michael Bloomberg made the case for Clinton on Wednesday as the “responsible” choice while also taking a jab at Trump. Bloomberg said that Clinton understands the presidency is not a reality show and President Barack Obama mirrored that statement this week by saying Trump does not have interest in learning any of the basic knowledge required to become president.

Though it was rumored earlier this year that Bloomberg was considering making his own run for the presidency, he made the case for Clinton as more than a responsible choice or a strategic choice, but as an American choice.

Bloomberg appealed to voters in a centrist fashion, talking to both Team Clinton and Team Sanders as well as those who want to sit this election out. The former mayor acknowledged that Clinton might not be your favorite choice, but that she is the necessary one. Even at worst, a Clinton administration offers more hope for the U.S.’s future overall than a Trump administration does.  

Unity, unity, unity (and more unity, for the people in the back)

The DNC heard speeches from individuals representing a dazzling array of issues on the progressive spectrum this week. Disability rights advocates took the stage to declare their support for the nominee Tuesday evening, which coincided with the 26th anniversary of the signing of American’s with Disabilities Act. Mothers of those who have lost their lives to police brutality — called “Mothers of the Movement” in reference to the Black Lives Matter movement — passionately endorsed Clinton for her compassion and the courage and conviction to make change and protect lives.

Thursday night was a big one: transgender delegate Sarah McBride became the first transgender individual to speak at a major party convention. Actress Chloe Grace Moretz, spoke to millennials about voter registration and Khizr Khan, the father of a Muslim U.S. soldier, discussed islamophobia as an American issue that Clinton is ready to tackle.

In line with the patriotism of the night, retired four-star Gen. John Allen of the U.S. Marines pledged his trust in Clinton’s judgment and in her commitment to the vision of a united country, one that “includes us all: every man and woman, every race, every ethnicity, every faith and creed, every faith and orientation —  all of us together pursuing our values.”

The bottom line: The sense of inclusion was the common thread of this week’s convention

The party needs to unify not around a candidate, but around a vision for the future, one that continually seeks to enhance the lives of individuals from all walks of American life. Whether you are young or old, Bernie or Hillary, black or white, Christian or Muslim, rich or poor, non-disabled or living with a disability, Hillary Clinton believes this country is stronger together.

Chandler Dunn is a senior magazine journalism major, and history and political science dual minor. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @ccrdunn.