IRS form shows how much Kent Syverud made during his first year as Syracuse University chancellor

Chancellor Kent Syverud was inaugurated in the spring of 2014. In his first year as chancellor, he was the fourth highest paid employee at SU.

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud made more than $900,000 in 2014, making him the fourth highest paid employee at SU, according to an IRS tax form obtained by The Daily Orange on Thursday.

Syverud’s salary as well as the salaries of SU’s other top earners are disclosed in the university’s annual 990 form, a document filed by non-profit organizations with the Internal Revenue Service. The form, which covers the 2014 calendar year, is the first time the salary of SU’s current chancellor has been reported since he was inaugurated two years ago.

The form also showed SU’s endowment taking a slight dip compared to last year, ending four years of endowment growth.

Syverud made $743,001 in base pay and $171,224 in other compensation, totaling $914,225 for the entire year. This is less than the $1,028,969 Nancy Cantor made during the 2012-2013 academic year when she was chancellor. The form also shows that Cantor was paid $824,755 in 2014 for her time near the end of her contract, which ended in June of that year.

Syverud’s total compensation is 35 percent less than the average for large, private, Carnegie-classified R1 research institutions like SU, said Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs at SU, in an email. But when compared to all private universities, Syverud’s salary is significantly more than the median, according to a recent study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.

SU men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim is still the university’s highest paid employee, making $2,043,670 in 2014. This is slightly less than the $2,144,384 he made the previous year. Former SU football head coach Scott Shafer was the second highest paid employee, earning a total of $1,522,946.

SU’s former general counsel Dickens Mathieu made more than Syverud with a base salary of $956,615.
The university’s endowment decreased slightly from $1,156,034,730 in 2013 to $1,140,240,279 in 2014. This is the first year the endowment has decreased since 2010.