Former Syracuse defensive end Qaadir Sheppard will transfer to Ole Miss

Former Syracuse defensive lineman Qaadir Sheppard announced on Instagram on Friday evening that he will transfer to Ole Miss.

He’s trying to continue a career that was derailed at SU. Sheppard impressed coaches last season and was one of the four true freshman defensive linemen to see the field in 2015. But he was indefinitely suspended for the last three regular season games for reportedly failing a second drug test.

After SU fired head coach Scott Shafer, his replacement, Dino Babers, dismissed Sheppard from the team in February.

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound Sheppard visited campus in Oxford, Mississippi over the March 4 weekend. Sheppard must sit out the 2016 campaign due to NCAA transfer rules. He has three years of eligibility remaining.

The Bronx, New York native played in nine games last season, recording one tackle and one interception.

After the dismissal of redshirt freshman Kenny Carter, the Orange had just three scholarship defensive ends on its roster in the spring, Jake Pickard, Kenneth Ruff and Trey Dunkelberger, neither of whom has played in a collegiate game at the position.

SU also brings in three defensive ends — Jaquwan Nelson, Kendall Coleman and Joshua Black — in its 2016 recruiting class as well as Delaware State transfer Gabriel Sherrod.