Week in Pulp

Week in Pulp: Final Four games are played out, Block Party lineup announced

Courtesy of SU Photo + Imaging Center

From Pulp's stories about the Final Four games to the Block Party 2016 performers, this is a week of a stories you'll want to be caught up on.

It was an eventful week for sure in Syracuse, from the men’s loss and women’s win in the Final Four games to the 2016 Block Party announcement. Catch up on Pulp’s best coverage of this past week.

The Chainsmokers, Chance The Rapper to co-headline Block Party 2016

Chainsmokers
Courtesy of University Union

If you haven’t already heard, University Union announced Sunday night that The Chainsmokers and Chance The Rapper are going to be the headliners for this year’s Block Party. Both acts performed at SU in 2013, and Jon Bellion will be opening the show for them this year. There will be presale tickets available for full-time SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students from Monday at 10 a.m. to Wednesday at 11:45 p.m. Floor tickets are $25 and general admission seats $20.

More: Block Party 2016 | 5 things to know about The Chainsmokers | 5 things to know about Chance the Rapper | 5 things to know about Jon Bellion | Twitter reactions to the Block Party lineup | The past decade in Block Party performers

Throw the ultimate Final Four viewing party

4116_P_ViewingParty2_FrankiePrijatel_SSP_web2
Frankie Prijatel | Senior Staff Photographer

If you’re looking to throw the quintessential sports screening party Tuesday night when the women’s basketball team faces UConn in the national championship game, look no further because The Daily Orange Pulp staff has got you covered. For game day snacks, try chips and salsa paired with a Corona Extra and lime, buffalo chicken dip and a light beer or Pretzels and an IPA. Don’t forget to buy ice and utensils when you make your pre-party store run. Read the full story for even more tips and tricks.

More: What local bars are doing for the Final Four games | Here’s how students abroad are watching the Final Four games | Spirit Squad members gearing up for Final Four

Video: How to make basketball Oreo cookies for the Final Four games

Accompany your viewing party with a delicious basketball-themed snack. These basketball Oreo treats are easy to make and easier to gobble down.

More: How to make Shamrock Shakes | Aerial video of Castle Court during Elite Eight game tailgate

Ong: Tinder proves harmful to relationship confidence

Sex and Health columnist Isabella Ong describes her personal experience with unhealthy relationships started on Tinder. She described how in her case, Tinder can become a way for emotionally damaged people to find each other easily, ultimately forming dependent relationships. She emphasized her view that self-love is the most important foundation for positive relationships, and online dating can never replace it.

“For many, online dating is like putting a Band-Aid over a large wound. It provides the temporary relief of confidence,” Ong said in the column. “One should never rely on the swipe of a card to determine their self-worth. Loving yourself is a process. This process won’t happen overnight.”

More: Read the rest of Isabella Ong’s Sex and Health columns here

Local gold medalist prepares to cycle in 2016 Paralympics

33016_P_JillWalshDominant_PhillipElgie_SP_web
Phillip Elgie | Staff Photographer

Jill Walsh, a 52-year-old resident of Jamesville, was a triathlete who wanted to run her whole life. When she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2010, she soon had to face the reality that continuing to run wasn’t an option. Now, though, the mother of three has capitalized on the sport she can participate in — paracycling. Walsh has won gold for Team USA twice, and now she’s preparing for the 2016 Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro.