Week in Politics

Catch up on the week in state and local politics

Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

Gov. Cuomo announced the creation of the Business Regulation Council this week.

Here’s what you might have missed this in politics this week:

Presidential candidates bring campaigns to Syracuse

Two presidential candidates and one former president of the United States will be in the Syracuse area this weekend to campaign ahead of the New York state primary on April 19.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) will be in Cicero at 3:30 p.m. on Friday and business mogul Donald Trump is scheduled for an appearance in The Oncenter Complex Convention Center at noon on Saturday.

Bill Clinton, former U.S. president and husband of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, will be campaigning on her behalf in Syracuse on Saturday at 3:45 p.m. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) will join him at Fowler High School.

Ban on tampon sales tax one step closer to law

The New York State Senate voted to eliminate sales tax on feminine hygiene products on Monday. Now, New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo must sign it for it to become a law.

The state assembly unanimously voted to approve the bill last month, according to Syracuse.com. The senate’s vote was also unanimous.

Cuomo announces $500,000 award for addiction services

Addiction centers in central New York and the Mohawk Valley will receive $500,000 from New York state to enhance their services, New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Wednesday. The funding will help connect hospital patients to addiction treatments and a family support program, according to a press release from the governor’s office.

A total of $250,000 was awarded to programs in Onondaga County. These programs are the Onondaga County Department of Adult and Long Term Care Services and the Prevention Network/Onondaga Council on Alcoholism Addictions, Inc.

Former New York state Gov. George Pataki endorses Kasich

George Pataki, former governor of New York, endorsed Ohio Gov. John Kasich for president on Thursday night, according to Syracuse.com. Pataki served as governor of New York from 1995 to 2006.

Pataki said Kasich was the only Republican presidential candidate that could beat Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in the general election. He had endorsed Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida) before Rubio dropped out of the race.

Council will review business climate in New York state

The formation of the Business Regulation Council, a temporary group formed to study the conditions for businesses in New York state, was announced Thursday. Representatives from business and labor will make up the group, according to a press release from the governor’s office.

The council will conduct various forums and meetings to hear from stakeholders. It will then make recommendations to New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Senate Majority Leader John Flanagan and Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie in June.