Brittney Sykes will return to Syracuse next season as 5th-year senior

Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

Brittney Sykes weighed her options after Syracuse's run to the Final Four and decided to return to the Orange.

Syracuse guard Brittney Sykes will return for a fifth season, she announced via Instagram Thursday morning.

“A lot of things in life may come as a surprise and my decision to stay for my 5th is one of them….but after talking with my family and coaches I realize the WNBA will still be there …and I will graduate from Syracuse University with 2 degrees,” Sykes wrote in the post.

The dynamic guard from Newark, New Jersey led the Orange in scoring in 2013-14 before tearing her ACL in the Round of 32 against Kentucky. She missed the entire nonconference portion of the following season before returning for three games, only to tear her ACL again and miss the rest of the season. She received a medical redshirt for 2014-15, allowing her to come back for as a fifth-year senior.

After returning from both injuries, Sykes finished third on SU in scoring. She gave Syracuse a boost in the postseason scoring 24 points in the Orange’s Round of 32 win over Albany and 17 in both the Sweet 16 and national semifinal.

With Sykes’ return, Syracuse will bring back three of its five leaders in minutes played, including center Briana Day and point guard Alexis Peterson.