Armory Square Night Market brings together crafters, artists

Niki Kanemitsu | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse Salt Company takes the city's nickname to heart, bringing its sodium creations to the Night Market.

Carol Watson, owner of Carol Watson Greenhouse, held a long, leafy green potted plant. This plant looked like any regular plant, but a fragrant scent drifted from it – the smell of popcorn.

Watson said that when this plant blooms, it not only smells of popcorn but also looks like it too; the flowers are a buttery, yellow color.

Watson put the plant back on the table and gestured to the rest of her booth. Flowers, blooming in reds, purples, yellows and pinks, were sitting in pots of all sizes. Succulents and plants crowned by twirling vines and bold leaves were artfully arranged on a table.

succulents in wine bottle

Watson was selling greenery and accessories at the Night Market, an event hosted at SKY Armory in downtown Syracuse that brought together 36 local business owners on Saturday.

The market ran from 4-10 p.m., and vendors sold art, photography, clothing, jewelry and food in booths dubbed “micro stores,” said Amy Bleier Long, social media and marketing manager at SKY Armory.

“(It’s a) great way for us to promote the community and local business,” Bleier Long said.

Entrance to the event was $5, and included a free cocktail for guests 21 and over. Patrons drifted through the three levels of SKY Armory, where they could shop, buy drinks, order a la carte plates and desserts and sit and listen to live music.

SKY Armory created the event, organized the vendors and promotion and provided the food, said Bleier Long.

The event was first put on last November after Nicole Samolis, SKY Armory president, heard of similar events in other big cities, Bleier Long said. She added that 650 people came through this first time, and that people seemed to enjoy it and to want more.

Bleier Long also said the goal of these events are to bring people downtown and spread awareness about local businesses.

“We create our own events that encourage people to come downtown,” she said. “We try to give people fun, exciting things to do. We hope people will come downtown and shop (more afterwards).”

Watson, who was a vendor at the November market, said she was impressed by how the event was handled and how many presale tickets were sold. Watson runs a family-owned business and said events like the Night Market help her connect with other vendors and new customers, especially since this time frame – springtime – is “her season.”

The Night Market hosted both established and brand-new businesses. Syracuse Salt Company was established last month, said co-founder and vice president Libby Croom, and this was its first event. Croom and her father, David Iannicello, sell flavored and finishing salts.

“Since we are so new, it’s important and really good to make connections,” Croom said. “And even if, you know, we don’t sell anything, it’s still good that we’re here and people see us.”

Kara Satalin of ZuZu Curiosities said she hoped to increase her business’ publicity and reach her target audience. Satalin repurposes vintage items and creates vintage button bracelets.

“I think that it is a great that there is another atmosphere (to) get the community involved,” Satalin said.

Indeed, men, women and children of all ages were present at the market. Kristen Izzo said she and three of her friends came to the Night Market as a girls’ night out. They were impressed by how clean, well-organized and age-friendly the market was, but also how it seemed to promote the local community.

“This is what got us together,” Izzo said.