Week in Pulp

Week in Pulp: Hardwell talks music festivals, runners compete in Syrathon

Brandon Bielinski | Contributing Photographer

Mickey Mahan has been driving the bus routes for Syracuse University for four years.

Stay on top of last week’s biggest stories in Pulp — you won’t want to miss a Q&A with EDM artist Hardwell, the announcement of this semester’s first Bandier performer or the day in the life of a Syracuse University Centro driver.

Q&A: EDM artist Hardwell discusses music, upcoming festivals

150818_Ushuaia_Hardwell_BR_009
Courtesy of Hardwell

Before he took the stage at the F-Shed at the Market on Friday, Hardwell opened up to The Daily Orange about what it’s like to juggle bus tours and music festivals, the youth-centered nature of EDM and staying “cool” to his fan base. The artist explained one of the reasons it’s important for him to do small bus tours — he said that they’re an important way to give back to his fans by coming to them.

Coleman Hell to perform in Schine Underground in first Bandersnatch Concert of the spring semester

Coleman1-1
Courtesy of University Union

In case you haven’t heard, alt-pop artist Coleman Hell is going to be headlining the first Bandersnatch concert of the semester. The student band Pizza Party will open for him after the doors to the Schine Underground show open at 7:30 p.m. Hell is best known for his hit song, “2 heads,” which spent 36 weeks on the Billboard Canadian Hot 100 chart and has over 13 million streams on Spotify. Other artists that performed at Bandersnatch concerts this year include Raury, X Ambassadors and Tribe Society.

Syrathon helps runners stay active all year and find new spots around the city

emmas-graphic

Graphic Illustration by Emma Comtois

Syrathon is a series of seven races — all different mileages and routes through Syracuse — that span throughout the warmer months of the year with the first taking place March 5 and the last Oct. 16. If participating runners log 26.2 miles by the time the races are complete, they’ve earned the honorary title of “Syrathoner” and are awarded a medal at a ceremonial breakfast after the last race.

Centro drivers find ways to keep things fresh

Mickey Mahan has been driving Centro busses for 20 years. Mahan is known for reading his poetry during the bus rides from South to Main campus to make the ride a little more entertaining. He compares being a bus driver to being given the key to a city. “You meet people and tour neighborhoods that you otherwise wouldn’t,” he said. “It’s a great way to see the world.”