Week in Review

Week in News: SU tuition increases, Donald Newhouse to be 2016 commencement speaker and more

Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

Students take their seats for the 2015 Commencement address.

Here is what you missed this week in The Daily Orange news:

Donald Newhouse to deliver 2016 commencement address

Syracuse University announced on Wednesday that media magnate Donald Newhouse will deliver the 2016 commencement address. Newhouse’s father helped establish the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and Advance Publications, which he and his brother now run.

Newhouse presides over newspapers in more than 25 different cities in the United States. The choice of Newhouse follows trends of past commencement speakers that lack in diversity. Of the past 17 speakers, including Newhouse, 13 were men and 16 were white.

Commencement600px
Chloe Meister | Presentation Director

Laurie Fine’s case against ESPN dismissed

A judge on Friday dismissed Laurie Fine’s libel lawsuit against ESPN. The wife of former Syracuse University assistant men’s basketball coach Bernie Fine had sued the network over claims that it had reported false and defamatory statements.

The judge ruled that Laurie was a public figure and therefore had to prove that ESPN had acted with actual malice. In the decision, the judge wrote that “no reasonable factfinder” would be able to prove reporters knew what they were reporting was false or should have known.

Bernie was accused of molesting two ball boys during his time at SU, and his wife was accused of sleeping with one of them. ESPN published its investigation of the case in 2011.

2706045-1001900312

Report on diversity and inclusion released

The Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion released a report on Monday outlining proposed changes that would make Syracuse University more inclusive. The report included short-term and long-term recommendations, some of which are supposed to be implemented by the end of the calendar year.

Suggestions included restoring staff positions to the Slutzker Center for International Services and hiring a chief diversity officer. The committee presented 33 recommendations in total.

Campus Scenes Fall Hall Of Languages HL Crouse College Exterior
Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

SU tuition will see increase in 2016-17

Tuition for full-time Syracuse University students will increase 3.9 percent in the 2016-17 academic year, the university announced Thursday. The budget will also include a 5.6 percent increase in financial aid.

A total of $247 million in aid will be reserved for undergraduates. Room and board rates will increase between 2 and 2.5 percent.

Faculty members support Ombuds Office

A University Senate committee has voiced its support for the creation of an Ombuds Office. The establishment of the office was also suggested in Monday’s report on diversity and inclusion.

The office would be home to the ombudsman, who would be a neutral party that would hear complaints and issues from the Syracuse University community regarding the university. Ten out of the 15 schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference have created such a position.

Lori Brown, who is chair of the committee, said the group is meeting with Chancellor Kent Syverud to discuss the next steps in the creation of the office.