Tennis

Syracuse earns highest ranking in program history

Zach Barlow | Asst. Photo Editor

Anna Shkudun and Syracuse have only one loss this season. The program gained its highest ranking Tuesday.

After upsetting No. 30 Notre Dame (8-4, 3-1 Atlantic Coast) this past weekend, Syracuse made program history after earning a spot inside ITA’s top 25 rankings on Tuesday. Syracuse earned the No. 24 ranking Tuesday, jumping nine spots from their previous No. 33 ranking.

Syracuse (8-1, 2-1) has lost only once this season, with the only loss coming against No. 9 Virginia, 5-2, who, after the new rankings, has fallen to No. 16.

Defeating then-No. 30 Notre Dame, 4-3, was just the push the Orange needed to hop into ITA’s top 25 rankings.

“Our team has made a lot of great memories and had a lot of firsts so far this year. These young ladies are dedicated and driven to continue to improve in everything that they do,” head coach Younes Limam said to Cuse.com. “They have pulled together and shown their toughness on the court against every team we’ve faced.”

Leading the way for the Orange this season has been Anna Shkudun, Gabriela Knutson and Dina Hegab. All three players are a combined 22-3 in singles matches, with Hegab being the last of the trio to remain undefeated. Knutson’s first loss came against Notre Dame this past weekend.

The Orange face Duke and North Carolina State on the road on Friday and Sunday, respectively.