Bracketologist Patrick Stevens on Syracuse’s Tournament chances: ‘I’m going to lean out at this point’

Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

Syracuse lost to Pittsburgh on Wednesday afternoon by one point. Bracketology expert Patrick Stevens said the Orange is now on the outside looking in at the NCAA Tournament.

WASHINGTON — Following Syracuse’s (19-13, 9-9 Atlantic Coast) 72-71 loss to Pittsburgh in the ACC tournament on Wednesday at the Verizon Center, The Daily Orange spoke with bracketology expert Patrick Stevens, who correctly predicted all 68 teams in the NCAA Tournament in 2014.

Here’s what he had to say as the Orange has no more games left until Selection Sunday.

The Daily Orange: Where do things stand right now for Syracuse?

Patrick Stevens: “Obviously Syracuse is in a much worse spot now than it was a few hours ago. It would take a remarkable amount mental gymnastics for the committee to select Syracuse ahead of Pittsburgh. But I also think that the profile that Syracuse has with those victories away from home are things that stand out. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be enough to get them in, but I think it’s going to keep them in the conversation for those last couple of spots.

“My thought coming into the day was that they might be able to survive a loss. And it’s going to depend on what other people do. Since the last time we talked, you saw St. Mary’s enter the at-large field and I think that they’ve got a better profile overall than Syracuse does. You saw Monmouth enter the at-large field and I don’t think they have a better overall profile than Syracuse does. They’re obviously very vulnerable to things happening in other places. They’re going to clearly be rooting for teams that are already in good shape for Tournament bids to keep on winning and keep bid thieves out of the picture.”

More Coverage

D.O.: Are there specific games or teams that Syracuse fans should look for or root for?

P.S.: There’s one spot that can really open up, and that’s out of the American where Temple is the top seed in the Tournament. But I don’t think that’s a team that will make the field without making a deep run in the conference tournament. If you’re a Syracuse fan, you’re going to want to see whoever wins that Cincinnati-Connecticut game just go win that tournament and maybe create an extra spot there. I think the teams that you’re looking at and would like to see get knocked out pretty quick, Oregon State, which has struggled away from home … a quick exit form the Pac-12 tournament would help. VCU, St. Bonaventure, those are teams that you certainly don’t want to see … Florida or Michigan or George Washington get hot like that either. Alabama would be in that mix as well. Clearly for Syracuse, you root for the top seeds. If you’re a Syracuse fan, you want to see a Texas A&M or a Kentucky go ahead and win the SEC. You don’t want to see San Diego State fall into the at-large field either, because that’s a team that hasn’t really messed up a whole lot.

D.O.: Does it matter if teams that Syracuse already beat continue to do well in conference tournaments?

P.S.: I don’t think at this point, those are two really good wins, but I don’t think that the Top 10 wins as opposed to Top 20 wins is going to make a whole lot of a difference. I think for Syracuse, the profile is the profile and you kind of have to live with it.

D.O.: What if Pittsburgh were to win?

P.S.: It would be nice for Syracuse if Pitt jumped into the Top 50, but at the end of the day, you’re kind of stuck with the 19-13 that you have. If you’re sitting there and you’re Syracuse, you just wish you hadn’t lost to St. John’s. That’s the game that’s ultimately going to cause them some problems.

D.O.: What’s your prediction for Syracuse right now.

P.S.: I’m going to lean out at this point. But I do think it’s possible, as things cycle through, and so many other teams still have to play, that they could play their way out and Syracuse is sitting there right on the cut line. But they’re obviously very, very vulnerable to whatever anybody else is doing.