Week in Pulp

Week in Pulp: Professors share love stories, new food services chef makes changes

Courtesy of Mary Mattingly

Mary Mattingly pushed her "man-made boulder" all the way from Staten Island to New Jersey.

Love was in the air this week in Pulp, from touching professor love stories to a powerful art exhibit made with thought and care. Be sure to catch up on all things Pulp that you missed from this week.

Professors share their love stories

love-birds
Devyn Passaretti | Head Illustrator

These three professor couples share their tales of falling in love and moving to Syracuse to teach at SU together. One couple worked together at Borders Books & Music store and ended their first date at Barnes and Noble. Another met at a math conference. The last pair met at school in India.

New SU executive chef works to bring healthy changes to dining halls

2916_P_Parvinder_ConnorMartin_WEBDominant
Connor Martin | Staff Photographer

Parvinder Singh, the new executive chef for Syracuse University Food Services as of this semester is ready to step up to the challenge of feeding the large student body of SU while serving up dishes that’ll suit the needs of as many students as possible. “You’re not just serving one neighborhood, or one socioeconomic class,” Singh said. “I get to serve a population full of different people, with different perspectives on life, different value systems and different attitudes.

Vegan-pop band to release album

21016_P_FTS_EvanJenkins_SP_WEB1
Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

What is vegan-pop, you ask? Here’s how local band minnoe’s bass guitarist Ian Sherlock describes the movement: “Specifically in the realm of music it’s interesting to be able to talk about (veganism). DIY music in general, whether it’s punk, pop, whatever — I feel like any subculture is derived from questioning authority and the means that push meat and dairy consumption are an extremely powerful authority, and to go vegan is to completely defy those forces.” The band formed less than a year ago, and recently recorded their latest album “Pinwheel” to be released in late February.

NYC artist uses photographs, sculptures to call out overconsumption

Mary Mattingly was stopped by the police when she attempted to haul her boulder-sized sculptures made of trash from across the Bayonne Bridge from Staten Island to New Jersey. With this art installation, Mattingly hopes to send a message: a warning that we have become a society of waste, overconsumption and greed. Her work is currently on display at Light Work Gallery, located on the edge of campus. The free exhibit, “Mass and Obstruction,” is open until March 11.