Top Ten

Top 10 Tips: Campus safety

Campus safety and regulations are the seat belts we often deem unimportant to clip during students’ collegiate journey. While getting a degree in four years is the general target, making detours simply happens as a result of the tuition fees passing from Person A to Institution B. The experience of going to college and making the most of it plays out differently for everyone.

During these hazy times, safety may fall pretty far down the list of priorities, along with the rest of your possessions and mental state you lose along the way. Fortunately, Pulp is here to help with some handy tips from the Department of Public Safety.

Pay attention to your surroundings:

Peripheral vision and versatile attention spans are great gifts; why not unwrap them and put them to use? Be mindful of what is happening around you to prevent yourself and others from becoming victims of say, a traffic folly.

Try not to use headphones while navigating busy roads:

Earbuds and headphones have become an everyday staple. While background music is certainly a motivational boost during the day, try to turn it down to a tame volume while crossing roads and walking on busy sidewalks.

Lock up your residence and vehicle:

Basically, this is their most polite way of saying, “Well, duh.” If you live on the ground floor, lock your windows as well when you’re not in the room. It is the simplest thing we can do to keep our hard-achieved and well-earned Tory Burches and North Face jackets safe and sound (short of wearing them, of course). It is also highly recommended you use a U-Bolt lock for your bike, since they are some of the hardest locks to break.

Never leave anything unattended:

Even if it’s for a bathroom break at bustling Club Bird, it is never a good idea to leave your laptop and backpack forlorn on your seat. Asking a neighbor to keep an eye on your things isn’t always foolproof; they care more for their own work than a few things that may be out of their field of sight.

Store your valuables out of view:

If you’re carrying valuables in your vehicle, take the extra minute to store them in the glove box compartment, trunk or in the center console. Don’t leave these items in view of windows; the sight of them is basically a mating call for those with dubious intentions.

Plan your timetable around the bus schedule:

If your class schedule has you functioning in night mode, have an alternative to walking home. Buses are the safest mode of transportation the university provides, so make sure to familiarize yourself with the bus schedule and plan your return trip carefully.

Follow road rules:

Use the sidewalk. Cross only where there is a crossing. If this is too challenging, try to keep tip one in mind and cross after making sure nothing can go wrong.

Be careful online:

You are never invisible in Cyberia. Be especially careful about putting your location and schedule up where anyone can see them. Making this information public informs strangers of the times your residence will be unoccupied and where you are in real time as well.

The Rule of Three+:

If you make the decision to go out at night, always travel in groups of three or more. Don’t leave each other’s side and don’t leave anyone behind. Keep your drink close to you, lest anyone try to give you their own questionable cocktail.

Download LiveSafe:

A handy app for getting to your destination safely, LiveSafe allows you to virtually keep an eye on a friend walking home, and allows a friend to keep an eye on you as you walk home using Location Services. This app is the closest we’ll get to owning a Marauder’s Map. LiveSafe also comes equipped with one-touch emergency contacts for DPS and the police.

With these tips at your side, you can make the best of your campus experience, whether or not you decide to bend the rules (Take DPS’ help when you need it: I attended a seminar once and I now know how to throw off an assailant with my 2-inch wide wrist). Put on your seat belts and enjoy the ride.