Terrel Hunt’s appeal for a 6th year of eligibility denied by NCAA

Logan Reidsma | The Daily Orange

Terrel Hunt tore his Achilles against Rhode Island in Syracuse's first game of the season. It will be the last time he plays football at the collegiate level.

The NCAA has denied former Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt’s appeal for a sixth year of eligibility, he confirmed to The Daily Orange on Monday. Hunt sent out the following tweet earlier in the day, but deleted it soon after.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 12.07.11 PM (1)

He was initially denied a sixth year of eligibility in November, but appealed the decision. Hunt redshirted his freshman season in 2011, fractured his fibula after five games in 2014 and tore his Achilles in the first quarter of the first game against Rhode Island in 2015.

“Whoever recognizes me, they feel for me. I fulfilled my student part. I did that and beyond. I graduated early. I started my master’s. I’m about to finish with my master’s,” Hunt said in a story run by The Daily Orange on Jan. 26. “I’m doing everything the NCAA ever asked for, but it’s like, when can I fulfill my athlete part?”

In his sophomore season, Hunt stepped in for fifth-year transfer Drew Allen after Allen performed poorly against Penn State and Northwestern. The two split SU’s game against Wagner and Hunt started against Tulane.

He led Syracuse to its last bowl win against Minnesota in the Texas Bowl. Hunt threw for 188 yards, but made his biggest contribution with his feet, rushing for 74 and two touchdowns. He was named the game’s most valuable player.

Now, Hunt finishes his college career with 2,621 yards and 11 touchdowns in the air with another 794 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground.

Syracuse is expected to return Eric Dungey, Austin Wilson and Zack Mahoney at quarterback. Syracuse will also have freshmen Rex Culpepper, a holdover from former head coach Scott Shafer’s recruiting class, and preferred walk-on quarterback Tyler Gilfus. Hunt could have competed with those five for the starting job next season had he been granted his appeal.

Sam Blum contributed reporting to this article.