University Politics

Syracuse University becomes 1st large private university to back sexual assault bill

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud said in a statement that SU is backing the The Campus Accountability and Safety Act because the university is a national leader in combating sexual assault.

Syracuse University has endorsed a United States Senate bill to combat sexual assault on college campuses, becoming the first large private university to do so, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) announced Wednesday.

The Campus Accountability and Safety Act would require colleges and universities to administer anonymous, biannual surveys of students regarding experiences with sexual assault on campus. Colleges and universities would also be required to publish the results of the surveys on their websites and in their annual security reports, according to a summary of the bill published on the U.S. Congress’s website.

The bill would also authorize the federal government to impose penalties on institutions that fail to follow Title IX requirements regarding sexual violence, according to the bill’s summary.

SU Chancellor Kent Syverud said in a press release from Gillibrand’s office that SU is a national leader in combating sexual assault.

“I am fortunate to work with a dedicated team of student, faculty and staff leaders who strive to make Syracuse a safe campus, and be ahead of the curve in working to prevent sexual assault,” Syverud said in the release. “As chancellor of one of the largest private universities in New York state, I know more work on this critical issue is needed.”

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) and co-sponsored by Gillibrand and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), was introduced in the Senate on Feb. 26, 2015. There are currently 34 co-sponsors of the bill — 21 Democrats, 12 Republicans and one Independent. Presidential candidates and senators Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) are both co-sponsors of the bill.

“I am grateful that Syracuse University has added their name in support of this critical legislation,” Gillibrand said in the release, “and I will continue fighting to get this comprehensive, bipartisan bill passed to ensure campus sexual assault cases are handled with the professionalism and fairness students deserve.”