Softball

Syracuse softball goes 1-3 in 1st 4 games of Citrus Classic II

Allie Wahl | Staff Photographer

Syracuse dropped to 5-7 on the season after going 1-3 in the first two days of the Citrus Classic II.

Syracuse (5-7) finished its first two days at the Citrus Classic II with a 1-3 record, scoring only three runs combined in the losses.

The Orange opened its tournament with a 4-1 loss to Fordham (5-9) on Friday.

Sophomore AnnaMarie Gatti was in the circle for SU. Last week’s Atlantic Coast Conference Pitcher of the Week loaded the bases in the second inning and let up a run after allowing a single up the middle.

After the Rams got another run in the third, the Orange responded, scoring a run as Sydney O’Hara reached base on an error. However, that was the only run Syracuse would be able to muster up, as it fell by three runs.

In the late game on Friday, Syracuse was able to put some hits together, leading to an 11-2 win against Morgan State (1-4).

Syracuse got on the board scoring two in the first inning. Morgan State responded in the fourth with a homer to left field, but was unable to put anything together after that in the nine-run loss to SU.

In the second day competing in Florida, Syracuse lost 4-0 to No. 22 Central Florida (7-8).

With Jocelyn Cater on the mound, mistakes cost Syracuse the game, as it allowed the first two runs of the game on errors. The first run of the game scored in the bottom of the first inning on a wild pitch and another run scored on the next play on a throwing error by Corinne Ozanne.

The Bulls got their third run in the next inning on a double down the left-field line. With runners on second and third and only one out, Cater worked out of the jam, retiring the final two batters of the inning.

In the fifth inning, Cater allowed her fourth run of the game before being taken out of the game for O’Hara. While O’Hara was able to hold UCF scoreless through two innings, Syracuse was unable to get on the board, falling by four.

In the second game of the day, the Orange had Gatti on the mound to face Charlotte (12-1), another 4-0 loss.

For the second straight game, the Orange allowed a run on an error, allowing the 49ers to score in the top of the first.

Gatti was able to hold Charlotte off the board until the fifth inning, when with two outs, she allowed two straight singles, stretching the 49ers’ lead to 3-0.

In the top of the sixth, O’Hara replaced Gatti. O’Hara allowed another run in the top of the seventh and Syracuse lost 4-0, for the second straight game.

The Orange finishes its trip to Florida on Sunday at 10 a.m. against Bryant (0-4).