Softball

Syracuse finishes strong weekend with 3-2 win over Ohio State

Allie Wahl | Staff Photographer

Jocelyn Cater pitched six-plus innings for the Orange in a 3-2 win over Ohio State on Sunday.

Syracuse closed out the Big 10/ACC Challenge by defeating Ohio State, 3-2, for the second win over the Buckeyes in two days.

Jocelyn Cater got the win in the circle, recording her second win of the season. Cater had a no hitter until the fifth inning and didn’t have a run charged to her until the seventh.

The Orange got on the board in the fifth inning when sophomore Rachel Burkhardt was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to bring home pinch runner Aliyah Wade. Syracuse scored another in the inning on an RBI single by freshman Hannah Dossett.

Freshman Andrea Bombace homered in the sixth inning to give the Orange the 3-0 lead, a run that proved to be the game-winner.

After allowing the first two runners on base, Cater was pulled for AnnaMarie Gatti. Gatti retired the first hitter, but allowed a double down the left field line which scored the two runs that Cater allowed on.

The next hitter grounded out to first, advancing the Ohio State runner to third with two outs. But Gatti was able to work out of the jam, striking out the final batter of the game to secure the win.

The Orange finished the weekend 3-1, evening its record at 4-4 heading into the Citrus Classic in Florida next weekend. The Orange will face Fordham (2-8) to start the tournament.