From the Calendar

SUNY-ESF alumnus and musician returns to perform in concert for WERW

Photo courtesy of Sam Kogon

In addition to Sam Kogon, the WERW concert will feature an indie synthpop band, Porches.

Two years after graduating from college, Sam Kogon is coming back to where it all started. The new wave rock n’ roller will perform at Spark Contemporary Space on Saturday.

WERW — Syracuse University’s student-run radio station — is kicking off its spring semester with a concert featuring the indie synthpop band Porches and Kogon, who graduated from the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry in 2013.

Kogon is touring fresh off the September release of his debut LP “Before You Knew Me.” He has returned to his college town a number of times, but doing a concert in conjunction with WERW has special meaning to the singer-songwriter.

“I had a radio show on WERW, so this is like a double whammy homecoming for me,” Kogon said. “It’s just cool to be a part of something that I care a lot about and really loved when I was at school.”

Kogon spent four years as an on-air personality for WERW. He hosted a show titled “Swing and Sway with Sammy K,” where he conducted interviews and talked with people who he viewed as “rock and roll royalty.”

The show jumpstarted Kogon’s music career, and he never looked back. While at school he was still interested in environmental studies, his true passion laid in the music industry.

At SUNY-ESF, Kogon was the frontman of a band called The Vanderbuilts. The group played two shows at Schine Underground while they were in school, so Kogon said he can’t wait to return to the Syracuse area to perform and see some familiar faces.

I'm excited to visit Syracuse. I just get that nostalgic feeling. It’s really nice to see some of the kids I know that live there. They are basically the people who are putting the show on.
Sam Kogon

“I’m excited to visit Syracuse,” Kogon said. “I just get that nostalgic feeling. It’s really nice to see some of the kids I know that live there. They are basically the people who are putting the show on.”

One of those familiar faces, WERW general manager Caitlin Lytle, was a freshman working at the station during Kogon’s senior year. Now a senior, in the Setnor School of Music is excited to have a WERW alum and acquaintance back in town.

“To have someone that was part of the station and was a friend of yours come back is kinda cool,” Lytle said. “Our station is very much about meeting new people and hanging out with friends. In having (Kogon) back, it reinforces that theme.”

Lytle said she is happy to be throwing a party to celebrate the musical success of one her friends. It’s even more exciting because this launch party will be one of WERW’s first SU-sponsored events. WERW has been more adamant about getting funding from the university, so Lytle said she’s sure this will be a big party for everyone who comes.

Lytle is not only happy to have Kogon return to WERW as a performer, but is also very excited to have Porches come play in Syracuse again.

“Porches performed at one of the off-campus house show concerts my freshman year. So, we’re bringing him back, which is really exciting,” said Lytle. “He just released an album last Friday so we’re getting one of their first shows promoting that album.”

Lytle said the show, which is on the eve of Valentine’s Day, will be an early Valentine’s party with heart décor, candy and balloons. Besides the two performances, they will also be raffling off vinyl records and selling merchandise.

“We’re working our butts off to get you to come out,” Lytle said. “The show is going to be amazing, the performers are amazing, so it’ll be worth it to come out in the freezing weather.”