Student Association

Student Association holds elections for assembly and gives updates on initiatives

Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor

Several Syracuse University students and one State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry student were elected to the Student Association's assembly on Monday night.

At the Student Association’s Monday night meeting in Maxwell Auditorium, the assembly conducted elections for eight positions.

Additionally, SA President Aysha Seedat discussed initiatives, including an update on her efforts to bring ride-hailing services, such as Uber, to Syracuse. Vice President Jane Hong also discussed initiatives she is working on, including implementing a bike share program.

At the start of the meeting, six assembly representatives were elected. The assembly elected Julie Jung to represent the College of Arts and Sciences, Edward Shao to represent the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Fanta Cherif and Caitlin Smith to represent the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, Spencer Kopko to represent the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and Madison Albert to represent the School of Information Studies.

Kopko, a sophomore who plays for the men’s soccer team, said in a post-meeting interview that he’s excited to represent the student athlete community.

“And to dispel the notion of the dumb jock and really get involved in the Student Association,” he added.

The assembly also elected Evanna Ojeda to be an undergraduate representative on the University Senate and Danit Maor to the Judicial Review Board.

An election for the Class of 2019 alumni representative for the Alumni Association Board was suspended until next week’s meeting.

Later in the meeting, Seedat told the assembly that she is working with the ride-hailing company Uber in order to set up lobbying efforts in Albany. The Uber bill will be going up to vote at the New York State Assembly after its budget is passed, which will most likely be in late March or early April, Seedat said.

Seedat also said that interviews for the senior vice president of Student Affairs and the dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs have begun.

Hong said planning is underway and on schedule for a bike share program, which would allow students to rent bikes for free on campus.

Hong also said that on March 11, the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion will be releasing a report that will provide the SU community with the workgroup’s findings.