Nutrition

Rockett: Combat your “sweet tooth” with healthy, savory recipes

Food cravings are endless for most people. Sometimes you may fantasize about the delicious entrée you had at a popular restaurant, other times you may want to try a new food from a different culture, or you may just be homesick and miss your favorite comfort food. After most meals, a craving for something sweet and rich is sure to follow.

Sometimes the urge to eat something sugary trumps desire to eat an actual meal. It’s called a sweet tooth, and it’s that overly satisfying and borderline gluttonous feeling that comes from sinking your teeth into that piece of sweet something you’ve been longing for.

Scientists are in agreement that sugar alters and rewards the brain. NPR has talked to experts who agree that sugar is addictive. Nicole Avena, a neuroscientist recognized by the American Psychological Association and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, said most Americans are fixated on refined sugars and carbohydrates.

“About 11 percent of the population meets the criteria for food addiction,” Avena said.

One of the hardest things about being healthy is learning how to navigate your environment with your biology and innate craving for sweet things. If you are someone who craves sugar or is driven by fatty foods, don’t make it harder on yourself when it comes to managing a healthy diet. Make healthy foods more convenient and available by placing healthy snacks at eye level. Also, try making some of the easy recipes listed below for healthier sweet treats.

When you do indulge in your favorite desserts, be sure to savor and enjoy it. This can be achieved by eating slowly, mindfully and thinking about how great it is. Maximize enjoyment with smaller portion sizes and take your time to notice hunger, flavor and stomach satiety. Treasure every bite and truly taste all the flavors in your food.

Strawberry Orange Granita

Granita is a dessert that is similar to sorbet, which is already healthier than ice cream because it is dairy-free and egg-free. Dairy contributes fat from heavy cream and milk, while eggs are high in cholesterol. The sweetness from the fresh strawberries reduces sugar content in this treat.

What you’ll need:

½ cup water

1/4 cup sugar

¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice, from one orange

½ tsp orange zest

2 ½ cups sliced strawberries

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the water and orange juice. Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
  2. In a blender or food processor, puree the strawberries with the orange zest until smooth. With the motor running, add the water mixture and blend.
  3. Add the purée into an 8-inch metal baking pan, and freeze for 30 minutes. After thirty minutes, remove pan from the freezer and scrape frozen bits around the edges into the center of the pan. Freeze until frozen, about 1 1/2 hours, removing the pan every 25 minutes to scrape the edges.

Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip

Yogurt is a good source of both calcium and protein. Greek yogurt has the added benefit of probiotics which helps keep your digestive system running smooth. Peanut butter is packed with heart healthy fats. Try this dip with crackers, fruit or veggies to satisfy your sweet tooth and keep your energy up through the day.

What you’ll need:

½ cup peanut butter

½ cup vanilla yogurt

2 tbs. of pure maple syrup

Directions:

1. Combine and blend all ingredients until smooth consistency.
  2. Serve with fresh fruit, veggiesor crackers.

Khija Rockett is a senior nutrition major. Her column appears weekly in pulp. She can be reached at [email protected].