PB&J’s Lunch Box to move from food truck to permanent home

Three weeks ago, PB&J’s Lunch Box could only be found on the road. Now however, the food truck has expanded into a new, permanent home at 989 James St., inside the Imperial Gardens Apartment Building.

PB&J’s cuisine was described by owner Pat Orr as “comfort food.” They serve a variety of sandwiches, including their signature grilled PB&J. The sandwiches are supplemented with fresh soups made daily, and other specialty items on its menu.

PB&J’s new home isn’t a stranger to food trucks turned restaurants, having been home to Street Eats in the past.

When Paul Cox of Street Eats was ready to move out of the location, he contacted Pat Orr, the owner of PB&Js Lunch Box, and asked her if she would like to rent the space. Orr said there was a precedent of food trucks in the spot, and since it would be an opportunity to expand her business, so she thought it would be ideal.

Before PB&J’s move, Orr spent five years in the food truck business, but until Cox called, she had never thought of opening a permanent restaurant.

“If you had asked me in December if I would be owning a restaurant in 2016, I would’ve said, ‘Are you nuts?’” Orr said.

Orr decided to start the food truck five years ago after leaving her photography business and has never looked back. She said she wanted to do something she really enjoyed, and all she could think of was cooking. This prompted her to buy the truck and start her business.

Now in their third week in the new location, Orr couldn’t be happier with what has come of her decision to open a permanent restaurant. However, PB&J’s will continue to use its flagship truck to spread the word about the business.

Even though PB&J’s new location was once home to another food truck restaurant, there were still a lot of changes to be made. Orr, with the help of executive chef Kelly Robertson and a few others, said she was able to renovate the entire space without having to hire anyone.

“With help from family and friends, we turned the place around in eight days,” Robertson said. “I love what we’ve done with the place.”

Christianna Braun, counter cashier and delivery attendant, was just hired when the restaurant moved into the new building. She said she already loves working with Orr, and that the best part of her job is the variety of customers she’s able to meet.

Said Braun: “We get so many different awesome people, and it’s a lot of fun to work here.”