Blowout Fantasy Hair Show raises money for nonprofit

Illustration by Devyn Passaretti

Money raised from the Blowout Fantasy Hair show will go to support programs and services used by people in the community.

Models with their locks tied up in beer cans and hair dos set on fire have all graced the stage of Blowout Fantasy Hair shows in the past. This year, with the theme “Once Upon A Time,” there’s no telling what outrageous hairstyles will make their way to the Landmark Theatre on Sunday.

The 6th annual Blowout hair show will bring in hair salons from all over central New York to compete for cash prizes and publicity, with awards including best makeup, best presentation and the overall Blowout Champion.

But the event doesn’t just aim to promote salons and interesting hair. The main goal is raising money for the organizer of the Blowout show, ACR Health, a nonprofit organization that provides a range of support services and programs for people in the community.

Moe Harrington O’Neill, associate development director for ACR, said ACR Health first heard of a similar event in Buffalo and decided to hold a version of its own. She said that since salon owners were often single, uninsured women — a demographic ACR Health helps — this event is especially relevant.

“I’m excited to see everything come together,” O’Neill said. “It’s also really about bringing awareness to our youth center.”

All proceeds from the event will go to ACR Health’s youth program, which supports LGBT individuals from ages 8 to 30.

This is the first year Blowout will be held on the main stage of the Landmark Theater. This increased space will accommodate the 12 salons participating, up from just five the first year. The event has grown every year since its conception, and O’Neill said ACR Health quickly learned that they had too much going on to contain in their past venues.

Last year, the theme of the competition was “Vegas” and judges from the Syracuse area included members of the Syracuse Crunch Hockey team. But this year, judges are coming up from New York City to judge the theme of “Once Upon a Time.” O’Neill said her department chooses the theme by making a list of ideas and then drawing one out of a hat.

After the theme is chosen, interested salons gather a team of stylists. Each team then gets a model and will “create crazy, out of the box hairstyles,” O’Neill said. These wild ideas are all left up to teams to envision.

It really depends on what you are in the mood to do. It’s crazy when you see some of these looks come down the runway. It’s my fifth year, but I’m still astonished at the looks and the creativity that lives in these salons.
Moe Harrington O'Neill

This competition is just as fun for the competitors as it is for organizers.

Stephanie Dunitan, a stylist at Bijou Salon in Skaneateles, said she likes the competition because she can be as creative as she wants.

Heather Chalone, a nail designer at competing salon Marny and Co. Hair Studio, said she has a lot of fun creating crazy styles.

“I’m excited to see what other salons will create,” Chalone said.

Besides the main competition, guests can also enjoy food and drinks at Blowout, and the VIP lounge will feature different themed tables in addition to an open bar. O’Neill said there will a table featuring pieces from a local glassmaker and one where ACR Health can discuss its work with guests.

Overall, O’Neill said she is excited not only to judge the event, but to enjoy how many people show up and have fun.

“I love being able to bring new people to the table. This event kind of steps outside of our donor base and brings new people to a new organization,” O’Neill said. “I’m thankful people come to this event and love it.”