Alex Hayes dismissed, Ben Lewis leaves program and other notes from Syracuse football’s updated roster

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Ben Lewis has left the Syracuse football team, a decision made by himself due to health concerns.

Syracuse junior offensive lineman Alex Hayes is no longer a part of the team due to a violation of team rules, SU Athletics confirmed on Friday. Though still listed in the student directory, Hayes was not included on the Orange’s updated 2016 roster, which came out on Friday.

At the beginning of last season, Hayes was listed as the backup left guard. He slipped out of the two-deep depth chart by the end of the season and leaves a position group that will be replacing three of five starters.

After redshirting in 2013, Hayes played in three games the following year and just one this past season.

Here’s some other news and notes from Syracuse’s new roster

Ben Lewis leaves program

Senior Ben Lewis is also no longer listed on the updated roster after choosing to “retire,” because of health concerns, he confirmed to The Daily Orange. Lewis redshirted in 2012 and then played wide receiver the following two seasons. Last year, he transitioned to the hybrid position.

The would-be fifth-year senior missed three games last season due to injury. He ranked fourth on the team in receiving with 208 yards on 18 catches. In his career, Lewis caught 43 passes for 490 yards and two touchdowns. Every other receiver that caught a pass for Syracuse last season will return.

“Just my body,” Lewis said of his decision to stop playing in a text message. “I had a lot of injuries and I don’t know if I could hold up another season considering how much of a toll football takes on your body. Also, I’m graduating in May and am ready for the next stage of my life after football.”

Hybrids Ervin Philips, Dontae Strickland and Tyrone Perkins switch positions

Former hybrids Ervin Philips, Dontae Strickland and Tyrone Perkins are listed as running backs/wide receivers. At first, the updated roster listed Strickland and Perkins as tight ends.

The hybrid no longer exists in head coach Dino Babers’ offense. The 5-foot-11, 179-pound Philips rushed for 234 yards on 41 carries last season. In just nine games, he also caught 29 passes for 286 yards.

Strickland is listed at 5 feet, 11 inches and 194 pounds. He caught nine passes for 137 yards while also running for 81 yards on 21 carries.

Perkins spent most of last season on special teams after recovering from an ACL injury in his senior year of high school. He’s listed at 6 feet and 208 pounds.

Kenneth Ruff and Trey Dunkelberger move to defensive line

Freshman Kenneth Ruff, who was recruited as a linebacker, and junior Trey Dunkelberger, who played tight end last season, are both listed at defensive line on the updated roster. Both tweeted recently that they will be moving to defensive end. Prior to the moves, SU’s defensive end group was down to just two members, redshirt freshmen Kenny Carter and Jake Pickard, neither of which have played in a college game.

Ruff is listed at 6 feet 1 inch and 250 pounds. The 6-foot-5, 238-pound Dunkelberger played sparingly in his sophomore season after transferring from Pierce College and didn’t catch a single pass.

The Orange did bring in defensive ends Jaquwan Nelson, Josh Black and Kendall Coleman in its 2016 recruiting class, but at Babers’ Signing Day press conference, he recognized it’s still a position of need.

“I can tell you this … that we need every able capable man that can play,” Babers said. “We’re even looking for more players. We may put an ad out in the school newspaper, see what we can get out of the fraternities.”

Other notes

After bouncing around between quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back, sophomore Kenterius Womack is listed as a wide receiver.

Senior Alex Grossman is listed as a kicker after walking onto the team before spring practice begins.