Week in review

3 things to know from this week in Syracuse athletics

Luke Rafferty | Staff Photographer

Trevor Cooney dropped in 19 points against Louisville on Wednesday in Syracuse's 72-58 loss on the road.

1. Men’s basketball complicates NCAA Tournament chances

Syracuse faltered in the Atlantic Coast Conference standings last week, losing to then-No. 18 Louisville on Wednesday and Pittsburgh on Saturday.

The Cardinals dominated the Orange in the paint in its 72-58 win, outscoring SU by 30 in the paint. Seniors Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije led Syracuse in scoring with 19 and 13 points, respectively. But a string of uncharacteristic mistakes by Gbinije proved he’s human after all.

Against the Panthers, the Orange crumbled late and finished the game’s final 20 minutes with only one made 3-pointer. When asked after the game about Tyler Roberson, head coach Jim Boeheim said the junior forward “wouldn’t play a minute” if Boeheim had another viable option off the bench. Roberson finished with no points and four rebounds in his 25 minutes. Freshman Tyler Lydon shouldered most of SU’s scoring load with 21 points in the loss.

MORE: What we learned in Syracuse’s loss to Pittsburgh

21916_S_ITP_WBBGamer_EvanJenkins_SP_WEB

Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

2. Women’s basketball rides eight-game winning streak to highest program ranking ever

Syracuse toppled then-No. 10 Florida State on Thursday, 83-73, a win senior guard Brittney Sykes dubbed a “program-changing” victory. Taylor Ford poured in 15 points on her own senior day to help propel SU past the Seminoles.

The winning streak grew to eight after a 70-56 win on the road against Pittsburgh on Sunday afternoon. The Orange scaled back in usual 3-point-heavy offense and instead rode the success of its mid-range shooting.

Both conference victories lofted Syracuse’s standing in the Associated Press’ poll to a record-high No. 18.

3. Lacrosse teams enjoy perfect weekend at home

Facing Albany for the second time in as many years, Ben Williams dominated the Great Danes at the X in the Orange’s 16-7 win on Sunday. SU benefitted from a spread out offense, receiving goals from nine different players. In place of the injured Nick Piroli, senior midfielder Tim Barber moved into the starting attack before a hard hit at the end of the first half forced him out the rest of the game.

The women’s team enjoyed a pair of 16-5 wins against both Marist and Wagner on Sunday in the Carrier Dome. Riley Donahue’s four goals helped SU throttle past Marist, and Syracuse cemented the victory early with a seven-goal run in the first half.

Quick Hits

1. The tennis team failed to continue its undefeated season on Sunday.

2. Softball edged its record back to .500 with a win against Ohio State.

3. The bad guys won, again.