Syracuse University announces changes to travel, entertainment policy

After objections from faculty, Syracuse University has announced changes effective immediately to its new Travel and Entertainment Policy.

The changes — announced Jan. 14 — come after about 40 percent of the faculty at SU signed a petition opposing the policy, which designated BTI The Travel Consultants as the official travel management company for the university and required faculty, staff and students to use the online booking portal Concur when “booking university-funded, sponsored research or grant-funded travel.” The policy took effect Sept. 1.

University travelers can now purchase airfare, hotel rooms and car rentals on websites other than Concur if documentation is provided that verifies lower costs for the exact same flights, rooms and car classes, according to an SU News release.

Travelers also now get a 2 percent discount on all Delta Airlines airfares, according to the release.

The Travel and Entertainment Initiative Team recommended the changes after it reviewed results from a December survey asking for feedback on the travel policy, according to the release.
SU will be holding additional voluntary Concur training sessions through June “to ensure that faculty and staff have sufficient training on how to use the services.” The first of those sessions is scheduled for Wednesday at 10 a.m. in 010 Crouse-Hinds Hall Auditorium, according to the release.